The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

When in the GTD workflow is project planning 'supposed' to happen? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi all,

On-again off-again OF and GTD user here. I'm trying to get back into GTD again and I went back to David Allen's book and checked out the workflow charts on the web. I have a question. I understand what Projects are in the GTD sense, and I understand that we want to plan a project with the next actions clearly defined. But I have a question of when. When is project planning supposed to occur in the GTD workflow? Or is there not a specified time?

I thought about when I do project planning. I do daily reviews in OF and empty my inbox. As I do that, I create projects if a new one is needed. And then, I might get side-tracked from inbox clearing and do more planning. So effectively, I do project planning during daily reviews. And sometimes during weekly reviews, as I bring in new projects into the runway.

But I'm wondering, should we specify certain times for project planning or just do it off-the-cuff, on an as needed basis? What do you all do?