The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

One task, two resources, different hours Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to be able to assign a fixed number of hours per resource to a task where there is more than one resource for a task, and where the number of hours is different for each resource. Is this possible?

As an example, a typical item might be where a small report needs to be written, which takes the author 4 hours, and a review by a peer takes 0.5 hours, with another review by a second peer taking 2 hours. I could split this up into three tasks, but it makes the project unnecessarily granular.

I suspect that this might be another element of the duration/effort discussion.

You'll have to split that task into three parts for each resource currently. We have a request in our database for a feature like this so I'll add note your comments in it.

Many thanks.

Please add a vote for me also. Thanks!

I'm very interested in knowing if this feature has been created in the two years since this post originated.

or

If there is any work around beyond creating multiple instances of the same task to accommodate this issue.

I have many tasks that i need to assign numerous resources to, and each have a different amount of hours assigned - any suggestions to resolve this are much appreciated.

Nice one so go through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenpeirce View Post
I'm very interested in knowing if this feature has been created in the two years since this post originated.

or

If there is any work around beyond creating multiple instances of the same task to accommodate this issue.

I have many tasks that i need to assign numerous resources to, and each have a different amount of hours assigned - any suggestions to resolve this are much appreciated.
Almost four year since this appeared; has anything happened? Sorely needed feature!

Like many people, I allocate effort to tasks in terms of hours or days. Keeping this simple, if I want to simply work in days, then 'percentages' of available effort form a given resource is practically useless - I have no simple way of converting percentages to days.

If, for example, I want to allocate 3 days from one person, and 2 days from another to the same task, then Omniplan does not seem to offer a way to do this. However, this is a *very* common requirement for me - and, I suspect, many users.

I have the same situation as paulwalk. I think in hours, not percentages, and I frequently create tasks that are split unevenly across resources.

For example: I have a task, "implement feature X", and I think it will take 40 hours. I believe Bob will be leading, and Carla will be supporting. My prediction says Bob will use 32 hours to implement and Carla will support him for 8 hours.

I have no way to implement this other than a task group "implement feature X" with two subtasks, one for bob and one for carla. It kinda works, although this gets tricky with 5+ people and 400+ hour tasks (I know, I should break this into small subtasks...)

Was there any motion on this feature? Are there any helpful plugins or scripts?

Last edited by bheliker; 2013-03-15 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo