The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What's the forecast on the next refinement update? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctracey View Post
As a new OF for iPad user, in my first few hours I'm thinking it takes too many clicks to quick enter something. If I'm in a list, the + up top requires that I click again to confirm that i want a new action in this project. I think the quick entry icon should be separate.
There's a separate Quick Entry icon in the sidebar which is always visible in landscape mode. I find using that to be faster than using the + if I'm just going to use the Quick Entry feature.

If you are looking at a specific project and want to add an action, even faster than using the Quick Entry option is to tap and hold on the project's top bar (where the name and remaining action count and collapse/expand triangle are) then choose New Action from the popup. No need to fill in the project, unlike with Quick Entry. If you anticipate adding more than one, you can similarly focus on the project, so that the first item in the + list is to add a New Action in the current project.

As always, if you want to make a feature request, you need to email it to Omni, not post it on the forum. Help->Send Feedback in the Mac application, or Contact Omni under the gear menu for the iPad app.

Quote:
Also I think there should be a way to "tab" through the fields in an action entry but that's a "limitation" of the iPad keyboard I suppose ...
Perhaps "tabbing" via the touch keyboard is impossible but I sure would welcome it when I was typing via my Bluetooth keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh26 View Post
Perhaps "tabbing" via the touch keyboard is impossible but I sure would welcome it when I was typing via my Bluetooth keyboard!
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a keyboard for use with the iPad. Could you give a run-down of how well it works with OmniFocus, in particular? Is it worth having if that's the only use it is going to get?

Quote:
Also I think there should be a way to "tab" through the fields in an action entry but that's a "limitation" of the iPad keyboard I suppose
Seems to be handled reasonably well by other apps by sensing double taps on the return key. i.e. single tap = new line, double tap fast to advance to the next field.

This was also the way I though would be the simplest way to handle adding multiple tasks quickly, so you'd just click on the '+' icon once, select the type of entry, add an item and then instead of just clicking on 'done' to close the dialog you could do a quick double tap on return to save and open a new dialog with the same parent.

I've already suggested that one to Omni but I'm sure a few more user votes would help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a keyboard for use with the iPad. Could you give a run-down of how well it works with OmniFocus, in particular? Is it worth having if that's the only use it is going to get?
My gut feeling: If you're hesitating to get the keyboard, don't. App navigation via keyboard is minimal at best. I played around briefly just now, and couldn't find anything in OF that went beyond simply typing in letters. Tab, Esc and Return don't do anything.

I use my keyboard a lot; I'm using it right now. I love it. However, if I'm writing a small amount of text it's easier to use the on-screen because it keeps your finger right next to the controls.

To reiterate, I am *very happy* with my Keyboard. But, I love keyboards. I got the first Newton keyboard and wrote a driver for it since I didn't have the latest OS. I used a folding keyboard on an iPaq with Linux and on a Nokia phone.

The Newton had tab to next field, and you could even add your own command-key equivalents. Hold down down command key for a few seconds, and a window popped up with a list of equivalents. On the iPad, cut/copy/paste are the only ones that appear to exist. And you can control the backlight and music and volume.

Also, the Apple keyboard is easy to turn on in your bag by mistake; the button is nearly flush with the edge of the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I love my bluetooth keyboard with iPad. I have two in fact. Apple and Matias. Both work great. I don't use the keyboard if I'm simply entering few texts, but when I edit multiple items in OF, it really comes in handy.

I think you will find it handy when you need to use it.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback...sounds like a good excuse to make a pilgrimage to the Apple Store to try it out. Maybe my sweetie will decide she needs it for taking notes in class, and then it won't be just another silly gadget purchase :)

I've used my Apple BT keyboard with the iPad. I found it interesting how quickly I decided that I did not want my desktop computer to have a touch screen interface.