The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to sort (sorted _view_) the Inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using OmniFocus for a while now and there is something that I always did without but now find so frustrating that I had to register an account to this forum and actually ask. ;-)

How do you sort the information in the Inbox? Here is the scenario:

1- I click on "Inbox" in the left column
2- I click on the "View" icon in the toolbar (the 'glasses' icon)
3- I select "Due" in the "Sorting" drop-down list
4- I see the "Due" column being selected with an arrow pointing upwards but the data is actually not being sorted

What am I doing wrong?

Most importantly: how come it is so hard to perform such a simple task?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurocher View Post
Most importantly: how come it is so hard to perform such a simple task?
Because you're looking in the wrong place. :-)

The view bar in OmniFocus sorts by project in planning mode, and by action in context mode. The inbox is in planning mode, so view bar sorting has no effect on the contained actions.

The thinking behind this is that the order of actions within projects has special, user-assigned meaning (based to dependencies or importance), so OmniFocus doesn't arbitrarily move them about in planning mode with the view bar.

However, if you wish to permanently sort a selection of actions in planning mode (e.g. to sort a list of book titles on your reading single-action list), there is a "destructive" sort command under the Edit menu. The same option can be reached by right-clicking on some selected actions in planning mode.

This command does a one-time "destructive" sort on the actions, as if you had manually moved them in that order (only with a lot less effort).

Hope that helps.

-Dennis

Thank you very much. It sure helped because the solution you gave gave me the expected outcome.

I don't like how the software is designed but I sure appreciate your help. ;-)