The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

leveling for non-fulltime resources? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,

I have seen multiple forum posts with questions about leveling and units < 100%, but haven't found the answer I was looking for. I am using Omniplan 2.1.2.

My example:
- two tasks: Start (1d) and Finish (6d)
- resource group "my team" with John and Mary
- resources are set to "keep effort fixed"
- the team works part-time (50%)
- I assign the tasks to "my team"

To specify the resources are working part time, I have set their units to 50%.
They don't have fixed schedules, all I know is that they work 20 hours a week.

When I level my project, each task is done both by John (50% of 50%) and Mary (50% of 50%).

This is not what I expect. I would expect only one person to work on the task, and automatically adjust the duration if necessary.

Any suggestions?

When you make the assignment, OmniPlan by default tries to get 100% units assigned to it. In your case it's able to grab two resources to achieve that. If you select the tasks, hop over to the Task: Assignments inspector and set the "Assigned amount" of the group to 50% you'll get what you want.

-Tom

Thanks Tom. In some cases it makes sense to get 100% units assigned. In other cases it does not as the task needs to be finished by the same person that started it. E.g. "read a book", or "walk from A to B".

Assigned amount limits it by task, I would like the amount to automatically depend on the selected resource. But that would then be for a future version of Omniplan I guess. :-)