The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sync error (remote db reset, unable to reach tx identifiers) help? [Fixed in 1.7.3] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
All seems well here (after a bit of a panic, I must admit).

Thanks to all at The Omni Group for their speedy attention to this!

Jon

Posting more information on how to resolve this, for folks that want a step-by step guide. I'm going to avoid duplicating info in Ken's post as much as possible, but there is more information there for those who want it.

Fixing the problem:
Starting on your Mac that has the most up-to-date info, please do the following.
  1. Select File -> Back Up Database from the Menu bar. OmniFocus 1.7.3 restores sync by ignoring some transaction files which previous versions added to the database in a way which didn't make sense.

If you need to get those changes back, you can do so by contacting the support ninjas and sending along the database backup you just made. Fixing the transactions can be done, but not automatically. It needs to be done on a case-by-case basis.
  2. Quit OmniFocus, then head over to the OmniFocus sneakypeek page on our website. Builds on this page go straight from our developers to you. Normally, we wouldn't be pointing you at one, but we want to get feedback on this fix as soon as possible.
  3. Download the most recent build of OmniFocus 1.7.3 on that page; install it on your Mac. Place any other versions of OmniFocus on your Mac in the trash. If you leave an old copy of OmniFocus installed somewhere, it may get run by accident and cause more problems in the future.
  4. Launch OmniFocus 1.7.3 and add a new action to your inbox. Call it "Test Action". This will let us test what happens when the new version synchronizes a new change.
  5. Select File -> Synchronize with Server from the menu bar. If you're prompted to replace your local database with the sync database, do so, then re-add your test action to the inbox and sync again. Once you complete a sync with no "replace database?" panels and you see the test action in your inbox, you're done on this computer.

If the new version was unable to send your new change to the sync database, it'll detect the problem and prompt you to repair it by replacing the local database.

Again, if you need to recover changes that appeared in a previous version of the application, send the database backup that was created in step 1 to the support ninjas.

Fixing other synchronized Macs:
You'll need to complete steps 2-5 on your other Macs, or they'll continue to be unable to sync. Be sure to move any earlier builds of OmniFocus to the trash after installing OmniFocus 1.7.3.

The previous steps fixed one computer (it'll filter out any bad changes from now on), but we need to fix the rest so they can start syncing again.

Fixing your iPhone/iPod:
Our next release of the iPhone app will repair this all automatically, but until we can get it out, we need to clear out any bad data that the phone app has. The steps to fix your Mac fixed the local copy of the database, but now we need to fix the server database so the iPhone can download it.

Once your Macs are back up and running, please do the following:
  1. Launch OmniFocus 1.7.3 on one of the Macs you completed the above process with. Select File -> Replace Server Database from the menu bar.
  2. Press the Replace button. Once the process completes, switch to your iPod/iPhone and continue.
  3. To clear out the bad data, we're going to delete OmniFocus from the device and reinstall it. Tap and hold on OmniFocus until you see the icon start to shake, then tap the "x" in the upper left corner of the icon.
  4. Tap "delete" in the panel that appears, then use the search panel in the App Store application to find and then reinstall OmniFocus. (The app store will notice that you've already purchased the application, so tapping "buy now" won't actually charge you anything.)
  5. Once it finishes installing, launch OmniFocus and tap "Set up Sync". Once your sync is set up again, add a test action to your inbox and sync it to the server. When that completes, you should be all set.*

Last edited by Brian; 2009-09-08 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: add info on hand-repairing databases

SneakyPeak R.501 does not fix this error on my DB files. In fact, my local files are now corrupted. Glad you suggested that I make a backup first. This latest Sneaky Peak is definitely risky. I've e-mailed Ken advanced troubleshooting data.

Last edited by elitebox; 2009-09-07 at 05:55 PM..

R.502 fixes all my syncing errors. Thank you very much.

R.502 did NOT fix my errors. :(

Stefanac - can you describe what you're seeing? We need to know more about the problem if we're going to be able to help.

I followed your procedure and get the attached message upon startup and then again after I load the back-up database, enter a new item and try to sync again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniFocusScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1068  

Stefanac, thanks for letting me know about this. I'm editing my previous post to try and make this less confusing. That panel appearing doesn't mean that the fix process hasn't worked; it just means that the process isn't done yet.

You don't want to re-open the backup file - you want to press the Sync button in that panel. If the database you see after doing so doesn't include the test action you added, you want to re-add it and then sync again.

Once you press sync, see the process complete without showing that dialog, and see the test action in your database, you're back up and running.

Changes added after sync broke may not appear in your database any longer, but you can send the backup to the support ninjas for repair. Does that make more sense?

Brian,

Thanks for this clarification, but still no success. I just toggle from the previous message to this one (attached) and can't seem to break the loop. I will reread you updated post and try again.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniFocusScreenSnapz002.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1069  

See post http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...4&postcount=31
I had the exact same issue and this fixed everything.