The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcut for "Edit note" changed with 1.1? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlOrange View Post
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)
This got me too - muscle memory is a potent thing.

-P

See the release notes, or Ken's post here.

I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlOrange View Post
I could have sworn Command-' was the key combo for editing notes all along; or at least that's the shortcut that was displayed to the right of the menu option.

So it's not like Enter was the shortcut, but rather a shortcut for editing notes. :)

To be honest, I didn't even know the Enter key could be used to edit notes. I'd always used Command-'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.

From reading the release notes, I got the impression that mention of the Escape key was not directly related to the Enter key, but rather that the use of Escape might be "phased out" in a future release. So OG is providing a hidden default to allow us to get used to the change ahead of time.

Incidentally, one nice side-effect of using that new default to turn off exiting from edit mode with Escape is that now the Escape key can be used for word auto-completion (standard for most OS X text views). Formerly, you had to resort to using F5.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-14 at 11:58 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.
I'm confusing. :-)

I didn't finish my sentence. I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.
Okay, that makes sense. That actually occurred to me about 15 minutes after I posted and saw something similar mentioned in another thread. But thanks for clarifying.

-Dennis

Thanks, Curt, and everyone else.

The problem is that I have years of practice with OmniOutliner, a program that also uses the Enter key to switch between an item and its note. Moving to OmniFocus for project/action management was easy because it kept a lot of OmniOutliner's keyboard commands. Now I worry that OF is diverging from OO, and my muscles will have to learn new commands and learn how to use different ones for each app.

Shouldn't be a problem - OmniOutliner also will open/close the notes field on a row with cmd-' just like OmniFocus. If you look at Edit->Edit Note in either app, you'll see cmd-' listed as the keyboard shortcut.

I'm also a longtime OmniOutliner user, and even there I always used the Command-' shortcut to edit notes. Like OmniFocus, OmniOutliner displays that key combo in the Edit -> Edit Note menu option. Apparently the Enter key did the same thing but was undocumented?

I wonder if these changes are a result of some of the feedback generated by the Matt Neuburg TidBITS review and subsequent usability discussions. If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of using the Escape key to cancel edits.

-Dennis

Okay, sounds like for the benefit of usability best practices everywhere, I will have to retrain my fingers to adapt to the technology. :-)