The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current OmniWeb engine status? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
5.5, thus far, shows a noticeable speed improvement. I find myself needing to restart it once a day, but other than that it's about as snappy as Safari.

IIRC, Web Inspector can be enable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwaith
But how much work was required to make OW into a UB?
All of our code ported to Intel pretty quickly (after all, some of it originally ran on Intel under NEXTSTEP), but Apple's JavaScriptCore and WebCore frameworks had a bunch of C++ code which needed to be ported to work with the latest version of the compiler, gcc 4 (which is required for Universal builds). We decided to just focus on getting the new version working rather than on trying to port the old WebCore framework to gcc 4.

(Apple has ported WebCore to gcc 4, of course, but that's in much newer versions of WebCore than we were using in 5.1—and updating to that newer code base was already the focus of 5.5.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
Hmm, speaking of the usage of a recent WebKit build in OW, will that include the Web Inspector? because that'd be super awesome... that thing is handy, little slow/buggy last i used but not really that bad at all, does it's job really well.
At the moment there is no UI for accessing it, but John Hicks managed to find the hidden preference for turning it on in sp1.

The web inspector will be available but not as an official feature of OmniWeb, you'll need to use a terminal command in order to enable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
The web inspector will be available but not as an official feature of OmniWeb, you'll need to use a terminal command in order to enable it.
sweet, fair enough in my book. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
We're updating OmniWeb 5.5 to be based on WebKit revision 13269, but we might release one more sneaky peek based on 12177 first.
It's great to hear OmniWeb is soon to be based on WebKit. What I'd *really* like to see is to use whatever WebKit is installed on the machine, instead of bundling it with OW. Is there a chance you're working towards this direction?

I'd be willing to sacrifice a few features for the security of knowing OW will always have an up to date rendering engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi Beckert
It's great to hear OmniWeb is soon to be based on WebKit. What I'd *really* like to see is to use whatever WebKit is installed on the machine, instead of bundling it with OW. Is there a chance you're working towards this direction?

I'd be willing to sacrifice a few features for the security of knowing OW will always have an up to date rendering engine.
I would like this as well, but will be satisfied with a stable, speedy, WebKit version, regardless of version.

I'm glad to hear that there is a new version coming out. Although I am a license owner I rarely use it. It seemed to be far less stable than safari. I just updated to 5.1.3— I'm anxious to see if the next version is more stable.

than prior editions but it still goes for a loop every now and then.

I hope that goes in 5.5. But me? I'd settle for more speed.

OmniWeb 5.1.3 tonight is claiming that 5.5 sp4 is available as an update. However, its More Info page is a forum thread I don't have permission to access. Naturally, the sneakypeeks FTP directory doesn't have download links. Was this not intended to go public quite this way?