The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SL - broken spotlight indexing [FIX: removing old version still installed] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I've already contacted Omni's support (as I wasn't aware of the forum right here) and they couldn't help me out.

I'm experiencing the following problem: Spotlight has refused to index and search any OO files, most likely since my update to Snow Leopard.
I did a bit of research and found the spotlight plugin (that .mdimport) file within my 3.9.5 Version of OO.
I manually installed it to the appropriate place and did a reboot + a completely new indexing via "Spotless". Didn't help.
So I tried index one single folder with .oo3 files via the mdimport command and it gave me this:

Plugin '/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter' does not match current 64 bit architecture to import type 'com.omnigroup.omnioutliner.oo3-package'.
'/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter' should be updated. 'arch -i386 mdimport' may work as a work-around.
Incorrect start/end range ordering; fixing.

Now, I have to say, that indexing files of my other omni-products (omnigraffle and omnifocus) works just fine. Could it really be, that the import-plugin is 32-bit-only.
Btw, I'm running a 10.6.2, MacBook Unibody 2Ghz, 4GB and OO 3.9.5 Pro

Any help would be appreciated since I do need the searching-compatibility for studying.

Thank you very much, Max

They couldn't help you out?!? I didn't know they were allowed to give up!

Are you intentionally booting your machine in 64-bit mode? What happens if you boot in 32-bit mode and ask Spotlight to reindex your OO documents?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention, I do not intentionally boot in 64 bit. System profiler says:

64-Bit-Kernel and -Extensions: no

which probably means SL is running in 32 bit. I've definitely never changed anything concerning the 32/64 bit question apart from forcing Safari to run in 32 bit (allows add-blockers).
Therefore, I don't really know, why mdimport is bothered by OO 32-bit plug-in in the first place.
Well the support told me to do the obvious: re-index and hope for the best.

greets, max

Looking into this.

if you do
Code:
file /Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter
from Terminal, what does it list?

I've also got a reply via mail from Brian. He asked me to do the same thing. Here's the outcome:

macbookmax:~ Max$ file /Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter
/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc
/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter (for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386
/Users/Max/Library/Spotlight/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

seems ok to me...