The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of sorting in planning mode. This is a basic capability of computer lists in just about ANY software. Why not in OmniFocus?

If for some reason people object to sorting, they don't have to sort -- just like they don't have to sort in Word, Excel, the Finder, Mail, BBEdit, OmniOutliner, etc. The mere presence of the capability is no skin off their nose. However its absence is extremely frustrating for those of us who need it.

Please tell me that this will be available in the next release. We bought this software to become more efficient, not to be prisoners of someone's dogma!

It's not the perfect solution, but have you tried the "move to top" applescript from the extras forum? It would probably make whatever you're doing a bit faster and is probably a good template for a sorting script.

Henri,

what is it that you are unable to do with the sorting support in planning mode? I regularly sort my project list, actions in single action lists, projects in various perspectives... It would be nice to have a few more options on the sort field, but Ken did mention that the one I'd most like was in an upcoming dot release.

The order of tasks is relevant in OmniFocus. Sorting would break manual prioritization.

OTOH, sorting of the sidebar items (Context and Projects) would be quite nice.

There is definitely a sidebar sorting script in the omnifocus extras page.

Indeed, you don't need any special script—this was built-in from the time of the very latest sneaky-peeks. Perhaps it's not immediately obvious, perhaps it doesn't work the way you would want it to. However:

Select the items you want to sort: actions within a project selected from the main pane; projects selected from the sidebar; folders selected from the sidebar. Go to Edit > Sort > … and select which sorting criterion you want to apply. The options are By Name, By Status, By Date Added, By Date Completed. These options are only available if you've got a group of items already selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korm View Post
I share the frustration with sorting, because I would like to sort actions within a project by due date.
Ken is already on record that this will be in 1.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Ken is already on record that this will be in 1.1.
Does anyone know if sorting actions by start date be possible in planning mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Henri,

what is it that you are unable to do with the sorting support in planning mode?
I'd like to be able to sort actions by start date.

Unless something unexpected happens between now and release, it should be supported. Select the items to sort, select Edit -> Sort, and there will be a 'by date to start' option.