The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Linking or attaching documents Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hate to take up space with such a simple question, but ... how do I link to, attach or embed document files into Omniplan? I don't seem to be able to do it within task notes. thanks in advance.

Sorry, that feature isn't there yet. We hope to implement it soonish, but I cannot make any guarantees.

In the meantime, you could add a custom data column listing the path to a file, and then write an AppleScript (which can be added to your toolbar) which looks at the custom data column and opens the file for you. A little clumsy, but will work if you need file attachments *now*.

thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone have such a script? thanks!

SETUP:
Step 1: Add a custom data column to your OmniPlan task inspector called "File"
Step 2: Copy the script below into a text file, and call it something like "Open File.scpt"
Step 3: Put that script file into ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniPlan
Step 4: Open the "Customize Toolbar" button in OmniPlan, and drag the script up into your toolbar somewhere.
Step 5: Add file paths to the File field of your tasks.
NOTE: This script has no error handling in it. If you don't type a path exactly right, when you go to open a file, you'll either get a vague message that Finder had an error, or the script will just do nothing. The script expects paths like "/Applications/OmniOutliner.app" or "/Volumes/Tiger/Users/myName/Desktop/example.pdf".

SCRIPT:
Code:
tell application "OmniPlan"
	set taskList to selected tasks of front window
	repeat with t in taskList
		set customData to custom data of t
		set fileToOpen to (|File| of customData as POSIX file)
		tell application "Finder"
			open fileToOpen
		end tell
	end repeat

end tell
Now, when you want to actually open the file or folder associated with a task (or tasks), just select the task(s) and click the toolbar button.

PS: Please feel free to post improvements to this script, especially error handling, or improved flexibility in path parsing.

Is there any documentation on how to drive OmniPlan from AppleScript? I would like to automate some tasks and I am wondering how much functionality is exposed and where I can learn about how to script against it.

Thanks!

Probably the easiest way to get started is to take a look at the OmniPlan AppleScript dictionary itself, either in Script Editor, ScriptDebugger, or some other AppleScript development app. We've integrated basic documentation right in there, rather than writing a whole separate document. If you launch Script Editor (in /Applications/AppleScript by default), it should show you a library window. If OmniPlan is on the list, just double-click it. Otherwise, click the '+' and browse to wherever you keep OmniPlan on your computer.

That'll give you a complete list of the currently available classes, their properties, etc., etc.