The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
That's very pretty, wlow (and I like the corkboard background).

It's a lot of lost space though, and I don't think Omnifocus needs go the Things-inspired direction.

I'd be more than happy with an iPad Mail-inspired interface instead. I don't need flourishes, and need functionality. (Otherwise I'd be using Things or To Do for ipad (which looks wonderful but seems to have major usability issues, from the reviews; read the "Most Critical" reviews to see what's wrong with apps; read the rest to feel good about buying an app.))

The most disappointing thing for me with the 4 second clip is that it's such a drastic departure from OmniFocus as we know it.

Not only do I like the direction you're taking with the iPad UI, I hope you go in that direction with the Mac UI. I can't wait to have this on my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
That's very pretty, wlow (and I like the corkboard background).

It's a lot of lost space though, and I don't think Omnifocus needs go the Things-inspired direction.

I'd be more than happy with an iPad Mail-inspired interface instead. I don't need flourishes, and need functionality. (Otherwise I'd be using Things or To Do for ipad (which looks wonderful but seems to have major usability issues, from the reviews; read the "Most Critical" reviews to see what's wrong with apps; read the rest to feel good about buying an app.))

The most disappointing thing for me with the 4 second clip is that it's such a drastic departure from OmniFocus as we know it.
Yep.
For business, function before form please.
One of the convincing factors of OmniFocus were the efforts to make the iPhone QuickEntry button indeed quickly accessible.
Although Things etc might be looking stylisher, they loose time.
And Time is still money (and quick responsiveness avoids frustration, keeps our minds clear and our hearts cool)

Hello,

First I have to say I am looking forward to OmniFocus for iPad.

But there are a few things I am worried about. I already bought the desktop and the iPhone version. It was the most expensive iphone app I ever bought, and because it boosts my productivity. It is great In meetings or while shopping to tip off items, review things to talk about etc. But I don't see me spending an equal or higher amount on an iPad version.

Maybe you could help iPhone early adopters by making the iPad version an upgrade to the iPhone version, and bring out the iPhone only version as new one.

From an iPad version, I expect the same usefulness. To be slick, just showing information, no funny graphics of how somebody's desk might look like. And to support me in tipping off items, capture todos and ideally help me even review my todos regularly.

I know you need some time to polish everything, but please don't release something which is not perfect for you!

OH MY GOSH.

Wow. Ughhhhhh..

I realized when I bought OF for my Mac that you guys really don't get aesthetics, but the program works well... whereas the current version of Things falls short due to data being stored in an XML file... yet aesthetically, it's quite pleasing to the eye.

Seriously guys. The design is VERRRRRY poor. As many have said, it is blocky. It's not neat and clean. It looks cluttered and confusing. I'm DYING to get this app on my iPad but looking at the current version is making me very skeptical and ready to move to a different app. The whole idea of GTD is centered in the concept of organized/clean. This preview is cluttered, confusing and just plain ugly.

Look at the attachment? The mock some other guy did in another thread. This is BEAUTIFUL. Organized. Clean. Not cluttered. It ties into the iphone/ipad theme.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease take this aesthetic and incorporate it. I want to believe in you guys - but you need some serious help on the design side.

Agh. I'm sure this is discouraging as I'm sure you've put a lot of work into this. But please hear this.

WE WANT YOU TO SUCCEED!!! I'm HAPPY to pay you money for OF on the iPad. But it's GOT to have a total revamp on the design side.

For what it's worth. I'm a designer. Let me know if you would like more personal feedback.... or gosh, even assistance in the design. But I think the attached image does it GREAT justice. If the iPad version looked like that - I'd buy 5 copies! If it looks like it currently does in the preview, I'll sadly be going with another todo.

SinCERELY,
Josh - joshperk AT mac DOT com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfour23 View Post
whereas the current version of Things falls short due to data being stored in an XML file...
Don't look now, but so does OmniFocus, and OmniOutliner, and OmniGraffle, and OmniPlan, and OmniGraphSketcher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Don't look now, but so does OmniFocus, and OmniOutliner, and OmniGraffle, and OmniPlan, and OmniGraphSketcher...
So will it be possible in (near) future to interchange data more easily between them?

Having one file that can be viewed & edited by different apps, where each one adds it's flavor?
OF let you focus on the tasks
OO on the hierarchy in-between
OG on the flow..

I may have other ideas later, but this is just for now:

1. I really like the fact that the sidebar icons are monochrome and 'stamped' as they are. Lack of color = lack of distraction when looking at the main view.

2. If I'm correct in assuming, I like the idea of 'flagged' being the same action box, just orange. I don't need a separate flag icon, like in the desktop version of OF (in other words, not a fan of it in desktop OF)

3. I do really hope you shrink those action boxes. The hit mark for the finger could be around that size, but the actual icon needn't be so large. Same goes for iPhone version.

4. Frankly I don't have much of a problem with the indenting interface, although it does look a little strange once there is a lot of nesting at once. I think it has to do with the proportion of the space between rows to the indenting from the previous parent folder/project. That said, I REALLY enjoy the parent folder locking up top when you scroll down. It's an extremely natural way to focus! And very quick to refocus.

5. Does it really need to say 'Graphic Design' under each action, if I'm in the project 'Graphic Design'? Redundant, no?

6. I agree with others that the disclosure triangles (if we are going to use this type of interface) should be down or right, not down and up. Right usually has pointed to the row of the folder itself when it is collapsed. Also, please put it next to the folder/project, to the left of it, just like OS X and your desktop version.

7. I dig dark color schemes. No problem there. Although, no need for the high contrast gradient in the bg. A simple solid color with a slight drop shadow from the left side would be fine, or if you must use a gradient, have the brighter color be closer to the darker color for less contrast.

8. Yes, icons are a little skewed in size/position, but that's polish. Again, thanks for monochrome.

9. 'Projects' sidebar icon could be a little simpler. Don't need the top and bottom black bumpers, or that top folder tab thing.

10. 'Due' icon clock hands could be thicker.

11. I REALLY like that you incorporated the current date into the app.

12. Lastly, please devote polish time to seeing where you can save pixels for greater use. We're back to 1024x768, from our fancy HD displays.

13. Thank you for doing a great job with fonts!

14. Maybe new task button doesn't need to be [that] big, but I would like it large like that. Same goes for inbox.

Thanks!!! Can't wait!

XML is merely a data storage and transmission format. Its benefit is that it is both easily readable by machines and reasonably readable by humans. The fact that multiple programs use XML for storing their data says (almost) nothing about the ease of interchanging data between them.

I saw "almost", because XML does give a common shape to the information, just not common content. There are tools, like XSLT, that rely on the common shape of the information to simplify the task of converting the content. That means that Omni is well positioned to add greater interchange of data, but it still is a significant undertaking that they'll have to prioritize amongst all the other things they could be working on.

Curt

I have just bought Reeder for iPad and the developer's implementation of nested folders is brilliant, very good to look at but still very functional. I could really see a similar arrangement working for projects and contexts in Omnifocus. It moves away from the outliner approach which works on the desktop but I think your mockup shows that it is not really suited to the iPad display.
Focusing down into complex projects or contexts could be handled by this type of "pinch to open" gesture. A pop-over, such as in Mail, could work if wanting to move actions into other contexts or projects. Obviously the interface could not be used without adjusting for Omnifocus particular requirements but there are ideas here that could be usefully employed.
And such a radical approach to task management would raise the bar for any competing apps.