The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bonjour Sync - Firewall questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am attempting to sync OmniFocus between a MacBook and an iMac using Bonjour Sync. The Sync Database is on my iMac, and the MacBook is set to connect to that.

If I turn off the firewall on the iMac, everything works fine with the MacBook sync. But if I activate the firewall on my iMac, the sync fails on my MacBook. (The firewall on my MacBook does not seem to cause any problems since the iMac is hosting the sync database.)

Is there a port number (or set of ports) that I need to open within the firewall to allow Bonjour syncing (as Apple has provided for iChat, iTunes, and iPhoto Bonjour Sharing)? Or another setting within OmniFocus that I am missing?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

It probably is a matter of opening a port number. Unfortunately, OmniFocus picks an available port each time it launches, which may or may not be the same one it picked last time.

Please send email to our support ninjas (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) to let them know that you need a consistent port number so you can set up firewall rules appropriately.

Thanks. I'm surprised that this has not come up for anyone else yet.

Are you using Leopard or Tiger? Leopard seems to deal with ports automatically.

Last edited by abh19; 2008-10-27 at 12:08 PM..

same problem for me .. if I turn off the firewall, it works.

if you've got Leopard, have you tried the "Set access for specific services and applications" setting and added OmniFocus to the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
if you've got Leopard, have you tried the "Set access for specific services and applications" setting and added OmniFocus to the list?
Yes I have, and this will resolve Omnifocus firewall issues and allow a sync.

I am on Tiger (10.4.10) and have the same problem with the firewall.
When I turn off the firewall, everything works fine.
After turning it on, OF cannot be synced.

Any suggestions?

Also on Tiger.
And sync also works when firewall is off. Not really a good solution in the long run..

Any ideas or other software that will do the trick?

Last edited by Tine; 2008-11-08 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Title didn't show in post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Marth View Post
Yes I have, and this will resolve Omnifocus firewall issues and allow a sync.
OF (Mac) 1.5 r2/ 10.5.5 (9F33)
OF (iPhone): 1.1 (v77.12.0.105742)

The first time I sync'd via Bonjour was on my home network (without making any particular allowances for the firewall). At my office, I can't sync. I added OmniFocus to the list of apps for the firewall, but that didn't help.

It would be nice if anytime my Mac and my iPhone were in close proximity I could sync them. I suppose this depends on the Bonjour definition of "close proximity"...

Thinking I could erase the settings, I reset the database. Sadly, that did not. But it did erase the data. <sigh>

I haven't had a chance to try again at home.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out? (other than deleting the app on my iPhone)?