The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Synch via USB connection Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to sync while connected via USB?

I'm trying to sync my new ipod touch at work, I have a feeling their network doesn't allow peer-to-peer sharing. At least, I haven't had success via Bonjour.

So is there a way to do this without going over a network?

I don't want to have to pay for a service.

This was bothering me too, since I came to Kenya where I have almost no access to wireless networks. But then, after some time without any apparent way to sync the Ipod, I tried to set up an Ad Hoc network (I think that's what it's called).
The trick is to go to your airport icon, and then choose Create New Network. Follow your nose, and you'll have the mac broadcasting its information. Then go to the Ipod or whatever it is and you'll find that it recognises this network, and will sync with it.
Maybe somebody clever can explain this thing better, but I can tell you that it works.
Of course, sync by USB would be nice, but I gather that Apple don't allow third parties to access that functionality.

Apple has thus far reserved the ability to sync "over the wire" for their own applications. It's possible that this may change in the future, but for now, it's not something we can add.

That said, there are no-cost options if you want to sync your OmniFocus data in an iDisk-like fashion. Check this thread for more info. Hope this helps!