The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Background sync? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does OF 1.7 supports background sync, after leaving the App?

iOS 4 made a couple different actions available while an app is in the background, but accessing the cell or wireless networks isn't among those possibilities. (We're hoping Apple adds this capability to some future iOS release, though.)

The app should initiate a sync when you wake it up, though, if it's been an hour or more since your last sync.

Ok, thank you :)

Brian, that's not quite right. An app can request time in the background, and while there has the same functionality it has while in the foreground. That includes network access.

Again, that's a limited amount of time to do the syncing, but it's definitely doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Brian, that's not quite right. An app can request time in the background, and while there has the same functionality it has while in the foreground. That includes network access.

Again, that's a limited amount of time to do the syncing, but it's definitely doable.
I agree. If we are in the middle of a sync and close the app, it should be able to automatically continue syncing in the background. The limit for task completion is 10 minutes, which is very reasonable for such a task.

It would also be useful to enable the app to automatically kick off a sync once you close it.

Yes automatic sync on app-close would be perfect!!

Quote:

This is my understanding as well. I don't think we are asking the program to initiate the sync in the background, but complete what we started in the background. So far, I noticed that the program doesn't do this.

It would be great that if the sync has been initiated, and I leave the program to do something else, it would complete the sync in the background.

Sync when closing on iOS 4 would be a perfect solution! The less I have to manage the program, the better. This definitely gets my vote!

Quote:
Brian, that's not quite right.
Entirely possible. :-)

I may be wrong, but Ken told me he did some work to try and enable background sync via task completion, and while it appeared to be possible, the requests never actually made it to the server. I was also basing this on what I've heard from other developers.

In any case, here's a couple of tweets he sent out yesterday on the subject:
[1] -
[2] -
[3]

If you have any suggestions for things he might try, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I think maybe you go the wrong way. Try it in that way, that radio-apps or navigation-apps use the iOS-Multitasking - not over task-complition.