The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a way "drop" (not delete) tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm curious to know if people have found a way to "drop" tasks, similar to the way that a project can be dropped? I sometimes have tasks under a project that I decide are no longer necessary to complete.

Is there a good way to remove them from the project's view without completing or deleting them? I see value in keeping the task in my history, and I'd like to distinguish between things that I actually did vs. decided not to do.

Currently, I move those tasks to a "Dropped Tasks" project and to a "Dropped" context to remove them from my views of active stuff, but I find this to be kludgey.

Am I missing a feature here? Suggestions appreciated...

How about prepending Didn't Do: to the action, then checking it off, possibly with a note as to why you didn't do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How about prepending Didn't Do: to the action, then checking it off, possibly with a note as to why you didn't do it?
Thanks. I will probably switch to some variation of that approach. Reporting won't be as nice as if there were an actual "Dropped" status, but it should be adequate. Realistically, I'll rarely, if ever, care about that info.

How about using a context "Dropped"?

--
JJW

Still have to check it off or it will block, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
How about using a context "Dropped"?

--
JJW
Thanks. I've been doing that, and moving the tasks to a dropped tasks project. Prefer to leave them in their actual project. Your approach would work if I check them off.