The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

link to pdf instead of copy? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do I create a link to a pdf-file in the note of an item, instead of a copy of the pdf? When I ctrl-drag a Word-document into the note, OO creates a link, but when I drag a pdf-file, OO creates a copy. I don't want a copy, I want a link. How???

What you're doing should be correct. It will still show a preview of the PDF even if it is linked if that's what might be causing confusion. Have you confirmed that there is a copy of the PDF saved in the OmniOutliner file? If you view the OmniOutliner file in Finder, right-click on it and select Show Package Contents, you will see a contents.xml and any attachments that are copied into the file. If the PDF is not there, it was linked instead of copied.

Ah, is that what's happening? Yes, then it works as it should.

However, the preview is indeed confusing. What's nice about links instead of copies is that a link takes up only 1 line of text, while the 1-page preview is huge. Isn't there any way to make this behave consistently between different types of linked documents?

Previews for attachments only depends on if the attachment is of a type we can show previews, such as various image formats, audio recordings, and movies. Being linked or copied has no effect on this part. If you have attachment tags turns on (View > Attachments > Display With Tags), you can always collapse attachments so they don't take up much space but will show with the dog tag appearance.