The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Actions Due in Folders not showing in Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm using Folders as "Areas of responsibility" to hold related actions that are not specific projects. These generally are not assigned a project, but do have a due date.

In my main Perspective, which shows Context mode, by Due date (grouped and sorted), I do NOT see any of the actions from these folders that are due today or tomorrow. I DO see actions that are in projects (some of which also have no context).

What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadoc View Post
What am I missing?
The project is missing, or at least a single-action list. In planning mode, click on "Library", then click the wheel at the bottom of that left panel and choose "New single-action list". Then in preferences, under data, chose that list as the default list for single actions.

When you create a new action without a project, it will exist in the inbox. When you are done entering dates, etc., a "clean up" will move that action into the singleton list.

BTW, how have you been placing an action into a folder without it being a project? If I create an action without a project, it appears in the inbox. If I then move it into a folder, it becomes a project.

Thanks--- Still confused... You are right, in that when I dragged the action to a folder, it DID become a project. But it still doesn't show in that perspective list.

I can certainly create a new single action list, but not sure how that relates to wanting to simply keep some actions in folders. Does a new action that I simply want in a folder (with no context or project) have to *also* be in a single action list?

I do have one single action list (called "General") that I've used for isolated actions that I don't even want a folder for (quick action, not related to anything, that will be done shortly). Thanks-

What you have in your folders are projects, not actions. That's why they're not showing up in Context Mode.

One solution is to create a single-action list ("bucket") for each of your folders. A "father singletons" bucket, a "manager singletons" bucket, etc. Then assign each of your actions to the appropriate bucket as its project. Like all actions, they won't show up individually in the left pane.

Placing these buckets in the appropriate folders makes them more readily "focusable," but you could also place them all together, even in a "Singletons" folder if you wanted: that would make them as a group easy to focus on.

If you want to be able to drop singletons into folders without messing with the bucket UI, please send feedback to Omni with that request (as I have). As far as I can tell, the way I've outlined is the only way to deal with foldered singletons, but I think there's got to be a better way.

Thanks Craig- I realize for now what I need to do is simply use those single action buckets *instead* of folders. I *think* the only minor issue then is that I prefer the Folder icon and hierarchy for these general areas of responsibility, but not a big deal....

You can place a single action bucket within a folder. Most of my folders have single-action lists so that I can put appropriate single actions in them and then Focus.