The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tags in OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
As I use OmniFocus more and more I am finding one feature severely lacking, and I found out a way to get around it thanks to an export script.

The one thing that OmniFocus needs is TAGS. Not for the purpose of using it as part of the GTD flow but in terms of organization and being able to pull up things.

As an example I hand a number of accounts for my company and I have each one of those in a Folder for each company.

But then there are some things that I need to do to figure out what partner I am dealing with at that company (which I would like to add to all of the ToDo's) and also for other things like who else I am working on from my company on for a particular account. What competitors if any are in the company... etc etc.

Currently I have TextEdit open on the side where I have outline the tags in the

#Tag format and then I copy and paste it in to the note field so it can be searched as part of the Todo.

While it does work it is a bit tedious to do so, I would rather not have that and have the ability to actually select these from a Tag list and search for them later as part of TAGS only search.

Now how I use the search is simple, as I am doing my daily planning it is not only going through the folders but also looking at it from the Tag perspective. For example if I am involved in some engineering or evaluations for customers (across multiple companies) I would just search for that tag and see which projects and tasks relate to that topic. Then as part of my planning I can evaluate what is more important, a current project that needs my attention in an area of importance vs. looking at this on a project or context basis.

Another example is I work with 4 sales people in my company. If I wanted to see all the projects I have for Sales Person 1, vs Sales Person 2, vs Sales Person 3... etc. It is just easy for me to search for the #SP-Name and just evaluate as part of the review my commitments to a person, and based on my next action selection for the day let the person know if I can accomplish tasks or new tasks, or tell them that I am not able to accomplish the task in a time frame that he/she would like.

All of us are overburdened with Tasks, and I have a huge number of tasks which are mostly ON-HOLD until my daily review. At which point based on the commitments, priorities, time allowed, I can make a certain number active per day to see what I can accomplish.