The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting Started Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, I'm trying out OmniGraffle. Cool app, very powerful, but not particularly intuitive to get started with. Wish there were some tutorials or videos demonstrating the features and how to get started making some simple charts.

I’m trying to make an org chart. Getting started was no problem, but I'd like to lay it out such that at a certain level of the chart, the children arrange vertically under the parent instead of horizontally, but I've been spending the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do that and have failed. I’m getting pretty frustrated with this thing.

I figured out how to select a specific branch and select align/make centered column, but as soon as I add another child, it reverts. There has to be a way to do this. So, two specific questions:

1. How do I adjust my org chart to do what I want here?

2. Any tips on accelerating the learning curve with this app?

Honestly, I'm about at the point where I'm going to say screw it and just go use PowerPoint.

OK, found the pdf help file and downloaded it. It had a decent little tutorial that helped get me acquainted with some of the basic concepts. But given the complexity and power of this app, I'd recommend meatier stuff. I had a similar complaint about DevonThink Pro and DevonAgent. They now have a nice set of tutorials that really help the user down the learning curve. Something similar here would be helpful.

Still trying to figure out how to get my org chart to do what I want, though. Am beginning to think it’s not possible, which is a shame.

You can layout items in different layers in different directions, so the solution would be to put those children on a new layer and pick the flow direction for that layer only: