The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Has anyone been using the iCal Sync functionality? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob
I need to read up on Missing Sync to see if I can use Palm Desktop for the DateBk6 Calendar, since I don't think OmniFocus has a provision for that. Possibly for Memos too, I'm not sure.
I gave up entirely on Palm Desktop. Unless you object to iCal on esthetic grounds, it works very well with DateBk6 and Missing Sync. Missing Sync comes with a standalone application for Memos, but there are several other applications that can sync with Memos too (I used to use SOHO Notes from Chronos, but I'm now using MacJournal). Missing Sync also syncs quite effectively with the Address Book.

I'm very tempted to use it. I set up a second account to play with it and it appears to be 100%. My only problem with it is you have no idea what project a task is associated with. In a prior revision a task would look like: Call Beth to discuss proposal [Fence Project].

One thing that amazes me about the syncing is it seems almost instantaneous.

At one point I wound up with two each of every context as a OF:abc calendar. That's been the only glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
I gave up entirely on Palm Desktop. Unless you object to iCal on esthetic grounds, it works very well with DateBk6 and Missing Sync.
No objections to iCal. So it looks like I'll be trying something like:

OS X:
iCal
to be determined notes app (but not Palm Desktop)
OmniFocus

Palm:
DateBk6
Memo Pad (Palm)
To Do List (Palm) ideally integrated with DateBk6 in the sort of portal ("Split Screen") way it occurs now.

Missing Sync inbetween.

I'm currently using FileMaker Pro Advanced 8.5 and FileMaker Mobile 8 for contacts. FMMobile is fairly limited, but I have a lot of custom stuff I've built into my OS X contacts FileMaker database, so I've put up with the Mobile limitations so far.

This is looking pretty good. Thanks!

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-05-27 at 12:50 PM..

Gave it a shot (with a backed up iCal of course)

- It creates calendars with "OF: Context" (A little strange, but I see the logic)

- You can enter things in iCal and it will sync back (Great. Need to test with a Treo)

- It puts the project name at the end "Do something wonderful [Wonderful Project]" (Good for iCal but might not be so good for a Treo/iPhone with limited screen space. This would be another great preference)

- Publishes all tasks in a sequential project (I think it should publish only the next one or at least be a preference)

- Leaves completed tasks in iCal. kGTD used to remove them. Any logic or reason?

- Publishes Waiting + context. (kGTD did not and again this would be a great preference)

- Does not publish tasks in a on hold project (Great. Just the way it should be)

- Does not publish tasks in a completed project (Great, just the way it should be).

Getting very close now.

BZ

That's exactly my setting (and one of my concerns/most pressing questions), too.

Didn't Palm say some time ago that they would drop Desktop/sync support for the Mac in the future? Hence many forums related to Palm/Mac suggest moving over to Missing Sync.

I did that. I currently use iGTD and sync to iCal which then syncs to the Palm. It all works very nicely. I think OF will work the same way - contexts becoming calendars which translate the same way to the Palm (I also use DateBk6) via sync.

- Pierre

I would like the iCal calendars to reflect the structure of Contexts in OF, but since that cannot happen, I'd rather one calendar appear in iCal for each parent Context—gathering all the children together. Instead of "OF:grocery" and "OF:hardware" there would just be one calendar "OF:Errands".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
I would like the iCal calendars to reflect the structure of Contexts in OF, but since that cannot happen, I'd rather one calendar appear in iCal for each parent Context—gathering all the children together. Instead of "OF:grocery" and "OF:hardware" there would just be one calendar "OF:Errands".
Respectfully, I would prefer the other way: that "OF:grocery" and "OF:hardware" are synced, and then in iCal I can put them in a calendar group called "Errands."

I may not want to work out of iCal in general, but it is my link to my PDA which is my traveling inbox. How is it envisioned that that I jot something on the pda and it gets processed by OF? Should I start with a task or an event on the pda? How can I best ensure it gets to the right project and context? What are people doing and what is hoped for?