The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Finding a different view into the outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got a project outlined in OO3 thus--

Title
Sub1
Sub1.1
Sub1.2
Sub1.3
Sub2
Sub2.1
Sub2.2
Sub2.3

I'd like some way to view this as--

Sub1.1
Sub2.1

Sub1.2
Sub2.2

Sub1.3
Sub2.3

I thought OF would do this if I assigned contexts to each sub. But I cannot create a separate OF file without destroying the one I use for my daily scheduling.

Is there a way to create a Smart Outline, like the Smart Folders in OSX? I could use it to create a different view into the data.

Any advice on how to do this would be helpful.

Thanks and kind regards,
M.

Not sure that I've quite grasped the balance between OmniOutliner and OmniFocus questions here, but in OmniOutliner you could experiment on dummy data with some variant of code like this, which re-groups rows into sub-groups which have the same value in a particular column.

Don't try this on real data until you have got a good sense of what it does, and made a number of backups. Prepare also to try undoing changes with Cmd Z.

Code:
-- 	THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS 
-- 	"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, 
-- 	THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. 
-- 	IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR 
-- 	ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
-- 	 (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; 
-- 	 LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, 
-- 	 WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) 
-- 	 ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

-- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU EXPERIMENT WITH THIS ROUGH DRAFT
-- *NOT* INTENDED FOR USE IN PRODUCTION CONTEXTS ...

property pTitle : "Reorganize document"
property pVer : "0.1"

tell application id "OOut"
	activate
	tell front document
		-- Get a list of non-note column names
		set lstCols to (name of columns)
		if item 1 of lstCols = "" then set lstCols to items 2 thru -1 of lstCols
		if lstCols = {} then return

-- Choose the columns under whose values the rows are to be reorganized
		set strFirst to item 1 of lstCols
		set varChoice to choose from list lstCols with prompt "Column(s):" default items {strFirst} with title pTitle & "    " & pVer
		if varChoice is false then return

-- Prepare a list of references to the selected columns
		set lstCols to varChoice
		repeat with i from 1 to length of lstCols
			set strCol to item i of lstCols
			set item i of lstCols to (column strCol)
		end repeat

-- REORGANIZE THE DOCUMENT !!!
		-- PREPARE TO UNDO WITH CMD Z
		organize rows by lstCols under it without prune
	end tell
end tell

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-19 at 02:47 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondozer View Post
But I cannot create a separate OF file without destroying the one I use for my daily scheduling.
Sure you can.

First, back up your data, just to protect against any mistakes. File->Back Up Database...

Now, use File->Export... to make a new database file, using file format OmniFocus Document, and choosing a good, descriptive name that you'll instantly recognize as not being your regular OmniFocus database.

In the Finder, double-click that file you just created. OmniFocus will open it, and it will look much like any other OmniFocus window (it's got all of your data), but the window name will be different. Make sure you are in that window for the next step!

Select all of the data you don't want, and press the Delete key. You'll probably get a warning about deleting hidden items. Look at the window title one more time and make sure you're in the file you just created, then confirm the deletion.

Now you've got an OmniFocus document you can open whenever you want for experimenting. It won't be synced, and it won't be opened unless you double-click the file in the Finder. You can drag-and-drop stuff from other OmniFocus windows if you want it. Any changes you make in this window will not be applied to your production database. Make sure you make any changes in the right place!