The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't sort a column when its type property is set to "pop-up list" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Truly odd that an OmniOutliner column is not sortable when its type property is set to "pop-up list". Seems like that basic functionality would be built-in.

Am I missing something?

My workaround is to set the type property to "rich text", sort, and to remember to set it back to "pop-up list". Cumbersome, especially if I'm frequently switching between sorting and wanting to use the pop-up list.

I saw a number of Applescripts for sorting "pop-up list" columns ... but haven't tried them yet.

WONDERFUL product! Just some silly shortcomings, or some hidden features that I don't yet know about. Indeed, OmniOutliner is one of the few pieces of software I use EVERYDAY. And indeed, I am much more organized.

Thanks, qomni

Last edited by qomni; 2012-01-31 at 11:09 PM..

Pop-up lists should be sortable. Does anything happen when you try? If you're having trouble with a specific document, we'd be happy to take a look at it if you can send a copy to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Pop-up lists should be sortable
Well, up to a point ...

Perhaps the OP's issue is that records are sorted by pop-up indices (the order of the pop-up listing), rather than by any alphanumeric properties of the pop-up terms themselves.

(One can, of course, use script to sort the pop-up listing itself ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
(One can, of course, use script to sort the pop-up listing itself ...)
Tests with a simple file show columns sorting, mostly as I would expect. Oddly, I find the script non-functional; other Applescripts found here work OK.

Perhaps my confusion stems from the terse, and I think, incomplete coverage of sorting in the User Guide.

Isn't there an inherent override of one column sort over another, even with Keep Sorted? If hierarchic sorting is supported, that is not explained in the User Guide.

Am I missing something, or is this the complete text:
Sorting
There are two main ways to sort rows in your outline; both of them are available from the Reorganize menu.

You can use the Keep Sorted submenu to set rules for sorting your whole document. The rules continue to be in effect, automatically sorting each row you create, until you turn them off. A small triangle icon will appear by the sorted column’s title to indicate the sorting direction. You can temporarily turn off sorting by selecting Reorganize ‣ Keep Sorted ‣ Postpone Sorting.
• Pro feature
OmniOutliner Professional can follow multiple sorting rules which are honored in the order you set them.
Sort Selected Rows will sort only once and then leave your rows alone.

Ah, that user guide is very old and that info is incorrect. Sorting priority goes from left to right.

So, are you able to get sorting of a pop-up column working? Or is that still giving you trouble.

Quote:
Ah, that user guide is very old and that info is incorrect.
Hi Derek,

You're saying that "OmniOutliner-3.0-Manual.pdf" is not the most recent User Guide? If so, where is the current version located.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Sorting priority goes from left to right.
Hmmm. Yes, maybe some surreptitious subsorting was going on behind the scenes.

Quote:
So, are you able to get sorting of a pop-up column working? Or is that still giving you trouble.
Mixed results. I'll check to see if the issues are related to left-right hierarchy, which as you say, was not mentioned in the 3.0 User Guide.

qomni

Quote:
Originally Posted by qomni View Post
Oddly, I find the script non-functional; other Applescripts found here work OK.
Possibly a misunderstanding about what that script does - its purpose is not to sort the column itself, but to sort the sequence of column values that is displayed in the column type inspector dialog (for the selected column).

Once these values have been sorted, ordinary column sorts will give alphanumerically sensible results.

(It's not a column-sort script - it's a column-type inspector popup-value sort script :-)

(I have, however, now added a line so that it will also sort the column itself, in order to show a result, reduce confusion, and acquire a dual purpose - thanks for the feedback )

Pre script:

Post script:

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 08.51.29.png
Views:	1720
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 08.50.18.png
Views:	1031
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 09.22.08.png
Views:	1744
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2235  

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-02-02 at 12:24 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by qomni View Post
You're saying that "OmniOutliner-3.0-Manual.pdf" is not the most recent User Guide? If so, where is the current version located.
Unfortunately, that is the most recent version of a pdf guide. For the most part, the info it has should still be accurate. The bit about column sorting is likely an error as I don't believe that was ever true. The built-in help has the most current information.