The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add outline level to named style Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please help me solve this problem.

Please see the attached Screen Grab.

1. I setup a template of indents, margins, typeface for each outline level.
2. I created corresponding named styles so I could assign the attributes with the Function keys
3. The named style accepts the text attributes from the "All level x rows" but does not apply the outline level.

What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenGrab.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	2263  

Your Whole Document Style has the 'row child indent' value set to 0. Remove that and you'll get the normal indentation back. You can do so by clicking the 'x' to the right of the entry in the Style Attributes inspector. Let me know if you need anymore help with this. Thanks!

Mondozer, if I'm understanding what you're trying to do, I'm afraid it's not possible. The structure of the document can drive the styles, but the reverse isn't true.

However, if all level 1 rows will be act names, you can still get what you're after - you'll just use the "all level X" styles.

You can then use the "add child" and "add aunt" keyboard shortcuts to create a new indented or outdented row, with the level style automatically being applied at the same time. Would save you from needing to create the row, then hit the function key to apply the styles.

Does that help?

Thank you Derek and Brian.

Derek. I want document indent rows to equal zero because I want them to print on the left margin. I want to override that setting for the rows of CHARACTER, (Parenthetical) and Dialogue and have them indent according to the styles for that row.

This works fine when I use the "all level X" styles to format those rows, as Brian suggested.

I thought that a named style, such as ACT would apply all of the settings of the corresponding "all level X" when I use the function key. It doesn't do that. So, if that's how OO3 works, then I'll just use the "all level X" styles. Not a big deal.

Brian. I understand your answer but I thought a named style would inherit all the properties of a "level X" style if you dropped the chit on it or dropped the named style chit on the "level X" style. Apparently, it only inherits some properties. Am I right?

Thanks again to you both,
M.