The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeated characters in search field while using bluetooth keyboards Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good afternoon all!
I have a new Zagg Logitech keyboard/case for the iPad2. I've noticed when I use the search field, I get repeated characters while I'm typing my search term (for example, if I type 'phone calls' it gets output as 'pphone calls'. Then since, the search is real time, it takes a few seconds to delete each character.

I also see this behavior with the Apple bluetooth keyboard.

There are no settings to change the search term from real time to non-real time. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'll submit a bug fix if need be.

Thanks in advance!
-Marc

I hadn't noticed this previously (don't use the BT keyboard often with OF) but had no trouble reproducing it.

I've proposed a change to the search behavior that should fix this, I think. The doubled characters only seem to happen during the part of the search where there are many candidates to match against. If you copy and paste a string into the search field, you get essentially instant results (in my database, it takes 18 seconds to get a response after entering a search string of "e", but if I paste in "ew" I get a result in less than a second). My proposed change is that the search facility not start searching until either two characters have been entered, or it has been half a second since the last character was typed. This would make the case of a search for one character take half a second longer, but make the interactive search as fast as a non-interactive one for the interesting case. If you want to vote for this idea, the bug number is OG #572190.

Thanks for the fast reply!

And I agree. You won't even need to do that, though. I think if OG makes the search function act the same was as OF for iPhone, we'd be in good shape (the search doesn't start until you tap Search on the onscreen keyboard). I don't need my search results in real time. :)

Well, this behavior also takes place when you are searching for projects or contexts in the inspector/editor, and there you do presumably want your results interactively! I know I do, in both places, and on the iPhone as well.

No need to go backward when going forward isn't difficult.

True, but both of these are handled differently on the iPhone; interactive for contexts/projects (which is much faster because you're not searching through EVERYTHING) and non-interactive for standard search. It would be nice if this was consistent across the iOS devices. :)

Good point, though.

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing this. It's most frequently with OmniFocus but also occurs in other apps that do processing whist one types. It could very well be a bug in the OS that doesn't see they key up until in finishes doing something and thus has time to register the repeated character...once.

I cannot remember where else I've seen this though it hasn't happened lately so there's a good chance it's apps I've tried and abandoned.

I'm only speculating though, if it can be fixed at the application level that would be wonderful :)

Last edited by HappyCatMachine; 2011-05-17 at 11:04 PM..

I've found a (temporary) solution. If you're using a ZAGG Logitech keyboard, you CAN press the button to bring up the onscreen keyboard, and everything works fine (I believe the Apple BT Keyboard can do this as well)...I've put in a bug report for this.