The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problem: OmniFocus has file permissions issue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,
I just installed OmniFocus for the first time using the latest version download (v50.0.95014).

I can't get it to do anything -- every 2 seconds a dialog pops up with the message: " The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges." It's not clear what file is being referred to here, but I can't even create a new window without this error coming up.

Any ideas about how I can make OmniFocus work?

thanks!

This is probably referring to files in your ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, though I don't know how those could get incorrect permissions...

You may also find more information about the error logged in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
This is probably referring to files in your ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
Strange -- I find no files in this folder. Should there be files there?

OmniFocus stores its data in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/ - perhaps your file permissions are somehow confused and OmniFocus can't create that directory. Try running Disk Utility and choosing "Repair Permissions" on your startup disk.

According to Console, my problem is occuring here:

Code:
11/24/07 2:31:56 PM OmniFocus[243]
Presenting modal error: ErrorDomain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 UserInfo=0x1583c680 
"The file could not be opened because you do not have appropriate access privileges."
{
NSUnderlyingException = Error validating url for store;
}
Any thoughts about what's going on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3 View Post
Strange -- I find no files in this folder. Should there be files there?
If you choose the folder and Get Info in Finder, what does it tell you the file permissions are?

Permissions are as follows:

system -- Read & Write
(unknown) -- Read Only
everyone -- Read & Write

...interestingly, my account isn't shown here.

Your user account, not system, should be the owner of the OmniFocus folder (in Application Support). You should change the owner to whatever your user account is (you may have to authenticate to do so), and give yourself Read & Write privileges. The group and other permissions should be No Access. The same should be true, by the way, for your Application Support folder. Make those changes and then try running OmniFocus.

It's weird, by the way, that your permissions are like that. Did Disk Utility make any changes?

Ok, fixed the permissions, but I'm still getting the same error.

What files typically should be in the application support folder? Still nothing in mine.

The 'store' terminology in the error makes me thing you might also have permission problems in ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus (which is where OmniFocus stores optimized caches of your file at runtime).