The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2.0 Progress Report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thank you :)

I listened to the podcast (and all of MM's GTD stuff by the way) and while I am excited for some of the features of iPad/iPhone coming back to the desktop, I am a bit disappointed that it only sounds like a feature leveling with nothing new to add to the mix.

While I like OmniGroup's attention to detail sometimes I feel like they are the slowest software developer out there and could really use a faster more agile development lifecycle to keep up with the pace of the platform.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I listened to the podcast (and all of MM's GTD stuff by the way) and while I am excited for some of the features of iPad/iPhone coming back to the desktop, I am a bit disappointed that it only sounds like a feature leveling with nothing new to add to the mix.

While I like OmniGroup's attention to detail sometimes I feel like they are the slowest software developer out there and could really use a faster more agile development lifecycle to keep up with the pace of the platform.

BZ
I too listened to Ken's description of what was coming. I'm okay with it. They spent a ton of time on the iPad apps. Resources are limited. Choices are made. I'm not interested in rapid. I'm interested in incremental improvements. Once all of the platforms are leveled, then they can wow us all over again.

Quote:

BZ
I'd rather have long gestation periods over the shenanigans that Adobe tries to put on people. Adobe releases a new Adobe CS Suite every year with incremental improvements and charges an upgrade fee. A lot of folks are still using older versions of Photoshop because they don't really want to pay for what appears to be incremental improvements.

Software doesn't appear magically. Oftentimes, these developers have to make sure their program works on different flavors of operating systems. My guess is they are trying to keep the Lion users and Mountain Lion users.

I don't necessarily think OmniGroup is the slowest developer out there. Mindjet still hasn't kept their Mindmanager Mac OS edition up to level with the Windows version. I'm still waiting for NovaMind to finally get their mindmapping program up to the Windows version. iTunes 11 was long time coming and was delayed an extra month. I remembered reading the BusyCal forums and seeing the "when is BusyCal version 2 coming?" Aw heck, Baldur's Gate iOS was delayed and the Mac version is still nowhere in sight.

It just seems like a long time because we're eagerly awaiting for Santa's presents and nobody is shimmying down the chimney just yet.

I'd rather get OmniFocus up to level first before starting to add groundshaking features. It provides a better starting point. Otherwise we'll be waiting even longer for a full blown OmniFocus.

Curious if there is any news about the afore mentioned metadata field?

Quote:

I was thinking the same, but Im glad I listened to that to manage my expectations. It seems after they get the UI refresh done with Omnifocus 2 for Mac, they'd then look at changes to the actual system.

Repeating actions that can be modified individually is at the top of my list, for example, and I assume would need to be updated across all versions.

I listened to the podcast. I have a few features I would like to see implemented, but feature leveling is still welcome! I look forward to the forecast view on the Mac for example.

What I appreciated was Ken Case being interviewed for an hour about OmniFocus. It gave me deeper insight into OmniFocus and also confidence that this product is still actively being developed. There probably are tentative plans for OF 3.0 and 4.0(!). This gives me confidence that this can be my "trusted system." (There are other software developers, Cultured Code comes to mind, which keep their user base in the dark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yata-Hey View Post
a basic prioritization field would be great. Again, I am aware of work arounds using duration lengths, etc. But again, why should people have to jury-rig an app of OF's size & scope to get basic functionality from it?
I sparingly flag tasks and find it does a pretty solid job of keeping the most important things in front of me — particularly used inconjunction with a "flagged" perspective. Also, judicious use of due dates can help a lot.

I don't think these things are "jury rigging" at all. There are already tools to very easily and flexibly arrange tasks by priority, if you use them.