The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Import from OmniOutliner to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Very elegant, and I keep forgetting that route when I bring data into OF.

Has there been further or more formal documentation of parse tasks with transport since the Nov 2 2007 release note (in Help > Release Notes > Archive) ?

What does the WHPalmer script do? I can't figure out how to use it. I'm liking this direction.

For my purposes, this is one of the most practical and useful scripts I have seen in a long time. Thanks guys for working on it. If at some point in the future someone feels like making a tweak [actually, I hope Omni picks this script up], here is what would be cool: it would be cool to be able to pick from which day the dates are calculated from. Right now, the script bases the calculations on whatever day you run it. For example, if it was 9/1 the 5d would become 9/10. If you wanted to activate the project on 10/1 and it was 9/1, it would be great to indicate so instead of having to manually change all of the days. All that being said, it is a GREAT script and beggar's can't be choosy. I'm very happy and I hope others can find use for the script.

Steve

Looks like I never saw your question about how to use my script. Sorry about that!

My script assumes that you have the following columns/types:

Action (RTF) Context (RTF) Start Date (Date) Due Date (Date) Duration (RTF)

You can actually call them anything you like; they just have to be in that order and those types.

Then fill in your rows, using duration values like you would use in OmniFocus ("2w 3d 4h" should work fine, for example). Select the rows you want to import, and run the script. Those rows will appear in your Inbox, ready for further processing, conversion to projects, etc.

Note that my script doesn't do any date calculations, it just uses what you have in the OmniOutliner document. If you do want to adjust the dates of a bunch of items in OmniFocus, I suggest using Dan Byler's Defer script which can be found at http://bylr.net/files/omnifocus/ along with some other goodies.

That is pretty funny. . . I was wondering why I had so many duplicates of things in my inbox. Your script was indeed working and I get on running it! Thanks!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
That is pretty funny. . . I was wondering why I had so many duplicates of things in my inbox. Your script was indeed working and I get on running it! Thanks!

Steve
I don't recall if it was this script or some other script I was working on, but I kept running it and checking the bottom of my Inbox for the stuff I expected, but it wouldn't show up, so I'd run it again until finally I had to stop to do something else. When I came back and did some processing on my Inbox (which was overflowing to begin with), I was surprised to find several copies of my newly added data somewhere in the middle, out of sight because I had more than a screenful of entries between the new stuff and the bottom of the Inbox!