The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Committing actions to projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is my feedback (some polite requests for the devs):

When in Quick Entry (QE):
1- I can't add more than one action easily, I have to save one action and then reopen QE window,

2- My projects don't appear in the corresponding drop down control. And to add to this, after selecting the project name for an action:
A desirable behavior , when I am working with the Inbox (and in QE):
--> if I set the context or date or any other field of the action no commit should happen. I would only "commit", and thus send the action away from the Inbox (or from QE) (where "uncommitted" actions reside), right after I set the project name of the action ("commit" an action to a project), and then the action should disappear from the inbox (or QE) and go to the corresponding project!

To have this kind of automation available (as default or as an option in preferences) would speed up the process of adding actions to my projects, and thus emptying the inbox (cleaning it up).

COMMIT should be an appropriate name assigned to this characteristic behaviour in your documentation (and Help files) (as it is very useful when talking about new records in databases).

What do you think?

Thanks, and congrats for the good updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaP View Post
When in Quick Entry (QE):
1- I can't add more than one action easily, I have to save one action and then reopen QE window
Try shift-return to be able to add another task before closing the QE window.

Quote:
2- My projects don't appear in the corresponding drop down control.
If the text area is selected, clicking the disclosure triangle to get the drop down list does not work. Type-ahead does work. If, for example, the cursor is in the Due area then the drop-down menu will appear when the mouse is used on the Start triangle. Seems like a bug.

Quote:
And to add to this, after selecting the project name for an action:
A desirable behavior , when I am working with the Inbox (and in QE):
--> if I set the context or date or any other field of the action no commit should happen.
There is a defaults preference you could use
QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox
which might get you the behavior you prefer.

Last edited by pjb; 2007-08-25 at 04:51 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Try shift-return to be able to add another task before closing the QE window.

If the text area is selected, clicking the disclosure triangle to get the drop down list does not work. Type-ahead does work. If, for example, the cursor is in the Due area then the drop-down menu will appear when the mouse is used on the Start triangle. Seems like a bug.

There is a defaults preference you could use
QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox
which might get you the behavior you prefer.

Thanks for your reply pjb.

I didn't know about that keyboard shortcut. I was also thinking about someone placing an 'Add new action' button in Quick Entry..

The bug is there, or the lack of functionality in Quick Entry..

That 'QuickEntryItemsGoToInbox' preference doesn't solve my problem 2 in any case.

My post is a way of feedback to OmniGroup, just stating my impressions as a user who doesn't need to know the secret loops of an application, or have to dig into the forums to find out some needed function, but who just wants to get organized. Anyway, look into my first post, and see what you can do, nothing out of reach there.

Quote:
My post is a way of feedback to OmniGroup, just stating my impressions as a user who doesn't need to know the secret loops of an application, or have to dig into the forums to find out some needed function, but who just wants to get organized. Anyway, look into my first post, and see what you can do, nothing out of reach there.
Use OmniFocus's Help --> Send Feedback menu item to send feedback to the OmniGroup. See this request from Omni for details. Many people will send feedback to Omni and also post the feedback here for discussion.

Curt