The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and loosely grouped actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm still not managing to get an elegant way of adding certain actions. Let me give you an example.

I had a couple of emails coming in from the choir I sing in. They were asking stuff about availability for next term. Such emails came in a few days apart from each other, and I have reason to believe there may be more emails.

I can't just reply to them immediately, because there are some other dependencies before I know my availability.

I made a project "Send choir availability for next term", and added those actions, along with the blocking dependencies, which seemed fine… but then today, when I sent the last reply, I realised I had a project with no actions, but I wasn't sure if it was complete. I've done everything I need to do now, but there may be more availability emails soon.

Should I leave the project sitting there empty? I get a lot of emails from different sources that require info from me that I don't necessarily possess: should I have a new project for each random piece of correspondence that I can't answer immediately?

Thanks,

Thomas

The point of using Omnifocus is to help you to remember to do the things you need to do. Do what ever you need to do to make that happen with the least amount of stress to yourself.

If you need to add an action to OF to remind yourself to reply to an email then do it. If you don't, eg the mail in your inbox is enough to remind you, then don't.

If your reply is dependent on a bunch of extra steps then I'd make a project, but that's just me. It's not costing you anything to have a million projects other than the mental energy to review them.

Do whatever works for you.