The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

is there a way to add dependents with out using the mouse? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
so as i am entering my list of tasks, when i hit return/enter, it just enters the next task, is there an easy way to add it as a dependent?

cmd-} (a.k.a. cmd-shift-]) to enter a child task;
cmd-{ (a.k.a. cmd-shift-]) to enter an “aunt” task (i.e. outdented from the currrent task)

If you turn on the dependencies column in your view (View->View Options or cmd-J) you can type in the dependencies you want by typing the task id and then a two-letter code for the dependencies type. If you put "type a dependency code" into the search box in the OmniPlan help command, you'll get a link to the page that shows examples.

If you simply want to put finish->start dependencies on a long list of items which are entered in order, type them all in, select the whole group and click the Connection button to connect them all. Yes, it uses the mouse, but not much :-)

I couldn't tell from the original question whether you wanted the indenting/grouping stuff (what jonwhite gave you) or the actual dependency stuff (what I gave you). I think it is worth pointing out that the indenting/grouping stuff does NOT establish a rigid ordering/dependency -- if the two tasks in a group are assigned to different resources, they won't necessarily be scheduled in top-down order.