The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

lkg for advice on how to do a call list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to use OF to manage a call list. I need to note calls: who I need to call and who has placed a call to me. Leftword: whom I've left word for. Returned: who has returned my call. Right now I have different projects consisting of: calls, calls:lw, calls:ret. All of them have the context of "calls."

Is there a better way?

Yes, make those into subcontexts of your calls context, rather than projects.

what are subcontexts? Also, I share the action with iCal todos. If I have more than one context, it may get confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllewis@mac.com View Post
what are subcontexts? Also, I share the action with iCal todos. If I have more than one context, it may get confusing.
Nested / hierarchical contexts.

@people
@Merlin
@David
Merlin and david are subcontexts to people.

For complex juggling back and forth kind of tasks I keep a log in the notes field.

If the calls are to the same people you can set up a @people context with sub contexts for all the persons you most frequently call.

I also think you should not use projects as you do now, but use contexts instead. The calls you make/receive must be part of some kind of greater scheme no?

You can use a naming convention with indicators (like you have now lw/ret) in the task names. Instead of creating new tasks you can change the indikator. (Might be good to keep log in notes field if you do this).

All of my calls go in the "phone" context.

I think of my calls as being in one of two states: calls I can make now and calls I need to make later.

When I leave a message, the call becomes one I need to make later (if they don't call back), so I note that I've LMTC (left message to call) and set the start date for the item forward by when I expect them to call back.