The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SAL Actions taking place in the undetermined future Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have Actions that repeat on as ad-needed basis, especially supplies to buy ("Buy 60 watt light bulbs"), that sort of thing. Instead of deleting them (I don't want to track their completions), I can either move to a someday/maybe Project or Context, but I'd like to keep those settings intact, so that I don't need to change them later when they become active. Another method would be to set their start date to well into the future, and then have a Perspective showing Remaining Actions, and then find the Action that has come to my attention to make current.

It would be cool if there was a 'future' (=remaining but not available?) filter. (Since they're SAL Actions, I can't put the container 'on hold').

Just checking if anyone else has a different method they like.

Bob

Er, SAL lists can be put 'on-hold', tho the icon doesn't change. Or am I misinterpreting what you meant?

I set this kind of thing as repeating actions. So:

Project: Keep house supplied
Action: (Repeating on a start date, monthly) See if we need light bulbs.
Action: (Repeating on a start date, weekly) See if we need garlic.
Action: (Repeating on a start date, yearly) Decide whether to buy spring bulbs.

When the start date arrives, the action becomes visible and I check. If I actually _do_ need light bulbs or garlic, I add an action to a single-action-list shopping list. Either way, I check off the "See if we need..." task and it goes underwater until its repeat time arrives.

All of this, of course, depends on the fact that most of my perspectives show Available actions, so by setting a future start date, I make these things disappear.

Gardener

Gardener,

Interesting, I'm going to give that some thought.

jjlucsy,

You're absolutely correct; thing is my Actions in SALs aren't all of the future-type, so placing the SAL on hold would make Actions that aren't future/template Actions not show up with "Available" filtering. If the behavior of Projects (on hold) could be applied to Actions (for SALs), that would work.

thanks

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-03-08 at 08:59 PM..