The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Individual filter control for Misc. Bucket Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like to see all the completed and uncompleted items within individual projects - it helps me see the full scope of the project. However, when I view the Miscellaneous bucket, I only want to see uncompleted items. My bucket has become quite cluttered with completed items. It is a pain to have to adjust the filters every time I want to take a look at the items in the Miscellaneous bucket. Is there a way to set the bucket to always default to only uncompleted items while keeping my projects set to show both, and if not, shouldn't there be?

At one point, I thought there was talk about the ability to archive next actions. Maybe that would clear up my full bucket problem.

It's definitely not our intention for folks to have to set up those filters over and over; I'd deal with this by setting up a perspective that showed that project with the appropriate filter settings - then you've got two-click access to the view you're after.

I put up a post on our blog which walks through setting up a custom perspective. Does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It's definitely not our intention for folks to have to set up those filters over and over; I'd deal with this by setting up a perspective that showed that project with the appropriate filter settings - then you've got two-click access to the view you're after.

I put up a post on our blog which walks through setting up a custom perspective. Does that help?
I see how setting up a perspective, would accomplish this, but it would be nice to set this so that it happened automatically every time I click on the bucket (which is the "default list for single actions"). Maybe others have requested perspectives tied specifically to individual folders?

I have a cluttered miscellaneous bucket as well. It seems like the miscellaneous bucket is a special case because the history of items completed has no relevance to the items yet to be done. (In viewing a specific project, the items completed are relevant to the items yet to be done.)

I fear the Miscellaneous bucket is going to require regular, manual pruning in order to be useful in the Planning mode. The suggestion of filter controls tied to buckets is a good one as a general case, but I would be happy with any mechanism that would suppress the completed items.

To keep my "Miscellaneous" Single-action list a bit more under control, I've gotten into the habit of adding one to each of my folders in planning mode. It's more work to setup initially, but it allows me to focus on miscellaneous stuff for specific areas of responsibility and all the lists are significantly shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataGazetteer View Post
I have a cluttered miscellaneous bucket.... I would be happy with any mechanism that would suppress the completed items.
If you don't need to keep a record of what you did, Focus on the miscellaneous bucket, show only Completed items via the View Bar, and then use shift-click to select all the completed items. Hit Delete and voilą, you've purged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
To keep my "Miscellaneous" Single-action list a bit more under control, I've gotten into the habit of adding one to each of my folders in planning mode. It's more work to setup initially, but it allows me to focus on miscellaneous stuff for specific areas of responsibility and all the lists are significantly shorter.
Yeah, I'm doing the same. It wasn't actually a conscious decision to do that, but I've just realised I've got a single action box in just about every category in my projects list.

Me too. I do it to keep things in control but also so my relevant single actions don't disappear when I focus on a folder.