The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF, task/event reminders and iPhone [Thread obsoleted by iOS 5.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Like many people, I would like reminders on my iPhone, coming from OmniFocus directly or via iCal.

OmniFocus syncs with iCal, but only seems to create tasks in iCal, not events. Is this right ? Is it possible to create events instead of tasks in iCal from OmniFocus ?
On the Mac, this is really a detail because tasks and events can trigger reminder alarms.

The problem is on the iPhone : I only seem to receive events on my iPhone calendar - no tasks !? Is this a feature or a bug ? In any case, I have no reminder alarms on tasks on the iPhone - and that is where OmniFocus is syncing (tasks and not events).

SO : It would be cool to be able to choose, in OF iCal sync preferences, whether I am syncing a context to cal X or Y into tasks or events - to populate iPhone events with reminder alarms.

There's no support for that at the moment; OF only syncs tasks, not events. Omni's chief has posted elsewhere about the question of just what one would put in the calendar instead of a task. Others have posted that they simply go through the synced in tasks and convert them to events as needed so that they can get the reminders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Others have posted that they simply go through the synced in tasks and convert them to events as needed so that they can get the reminders.
That is precisely what one would like to do ... in OmniFocus, in the right context, at the right time (or by default, in OF Preferences) - remember, there is no iCal on the iPhone to do what you suggest.

Rup

I would like to have a calendar that I could name "milestones" and have things that are due show up as an all day event. Then at a quick scan I could see my time sensitive events and deadlines.

I see it as a big need for a reminder alarm to make a phone call, check up on a project etc. ALARM reminder of TO DO's is a key function for me!
I see OF posts to iCal but then one has to go to iCal & 2 steps to set an alarm.

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwd3 View Post
I see it as a big need for a reminder alarm to make a phone call, check up on a project etc. ALARM reminder of TO DO's is a key function for me!
I see OF posts to iCal but then one has to go to iCal & 2 steps to set an alarm.

?????
Go install Growl from http://growl.info -- you'll get pop-up notifications for events coming due, starting, etc.

Quote:
Go install Growl from http://growl.info -- you'll get pop-up notifications for events coming due, starting, etc.
And you can configure Growl to send email or SMS reminders too.

Curt

Thank you for the Growl tip - I am working on it now - have it providing a reminder and am trying to get it to provide an alarm sound and it may just work out fine.

Quote:
:-( I am about to return the iPhone because of the completely useless alert feature. Apple says that there isn't any way to change it. I can not live wihtout a reminder feature that actually works - any suggestions?

How do you set growl up to send sms?