The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Last week's completed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I work in an environment where everyone posts what they accomplished in the last week to an internal mailing list.

I used OmniFocus for the last week to manage what I was doing and the experience has been generally great.

BUT, now it is Monday and I must find all the things I completed in the last week. This week is easy, I just set the view bar to show only completed things. But what about next week? There doesn't seem to be any way to limit the view to completion dates in a given time period.

How do other people handle this?

Goofy idea #1: When I review the list of completed things, I could change them all to a context: "Done week of Aug 06". But then I don't see a way in the view bar to exclude a given context (or folder of contexts, as this would need).

Goofy idea #2: I could move all the completed things into a different project: "Done week of Aug 06". But that would loose the project associations, which seems like important historical data.

Any help? Do we just need a feature which limits views by range of completion date? Does the program even record the completion date?

Quick note: Playing around more, I found that in context view, if you group by completed, the there is a section "Within the last week". This was a bit hidden! (Especially as I've yet to figure out a good use for contexts.... so I almost never go to that view.) Even so, I'd love for that to be configurable... I worry that if I'm out on a Monday, and then on Tuesday go to this view to produce my "what I accomplished" list, it'll miss last Monday's completions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnViewMark View Post
(Especially as I've yet to figure out a good use for contexts.... so I almost never go to that view.)
Have you read Getting Things Done? Not that you have to to use OF, but OF is largely written to support the GTD methodology.

No, I haven't read the book, but I have read a fair bit about GTD, and work with many adherents. And while I get the concept of Contexts, I just haven't found then to be particularly helpful. But this might be that I only use GTD (and OmniFocus) at work, for work projects, and that as a "knowledge worker" there are almost no distinct modes of work: I can jump from writing e-mail, to editing software code, to writing documents instantly - so while those are the contexts I currently have, I rarely see the need to focus on one context or the other.

I would strongly recommend actually reading Getting Things Done; GTD will not work to its fullest potential if you only partially implement it.

It's not just a neat workflow; it's about reducing stress and improving productivity in all aspects of your life, which you can only do if you're using it in all aspects of your life.

Reading "about" GTD and trying to make it work makes about as much sense as deciding to be baptized without having opened a Bible, IMO.

I don't want to start anything, and I do reccomend the book and using GTD for more than just work, but reading the quote-unquote bible won't solve the contexts-for-knowledge worker problem with the system, as the apostle has noted. I'm still using my area-of-life- and client-or-project-based contexts far more than my physical-based ones.

I'm at a loss on how to structure your contexts if you're only using GTD for your work productivity.

Contexts should be whatever you need them to be to be able to filter out things you can't do in your current location or situation.

There was a discussion about peoples' contexts in this thread.