The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

list of actions due soon and no due date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I've sent this as feedback, as well, but maybe you guys know whether I've missed something:

I'm looking for a simple list with all actions which are due (soon) and have no due date.
  • Context Mode
  • group by due
  • show actions with due soon
seems to be the right way, but I'm missing all my actions without due date.

I've just finished the book, and David makes a good point using due dates only if the date is really fix, instead of as soon as possible. I have a lot of actions which should be done soon but do not deserve a due date.

Any chance to get a list like that out of OF?

Best regards,

hessi

There should be a "No due date" group at the bottom.

I'm not quite sure what you have in mind; how would you know which actions should be done soon?

One approach might be to review your projects and flag the actions which you think you ought to do soon, then filter your list to show only your flagged actions.

Or perhaps you're thinking that anything that has been in your system for a while ought to be done (or dropped), in which case maybe you want to group by Date Added and work your way through your oldest actions.

Or did you have something else in mind?

Ken, it's exactly as David Allen described it:

Every action which does not have a specific due or start date is due as soon as possible.

In the preferences, we can choose at which day in the future due actions are marked as soon. This selection, together with all actions without due or start date in the future (meaning more than "soon"-date from preferences) should be shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
There should be a "No due date" group at the bottom.
Not if he has "Due Soon" selected for the task state filter.

You should just show all remaining tasks and use the group by due date, then the group xmas is talking about will be there.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
You should just show all remaining tasks and use the group by due date, then the group xmas is talking about will be there.
-P
Right, grouping by due date shows me the group "no due date".

But the sort order is wrong (if I sort by due date).
OF shows ALL actions with due date before any action without due date, even the actions with a start date in a month and a due date in 3 month.

I don't want to repeat myself five times (well, I do, actually... ;-) ), but according to GTD, everything without a due date is due as soon as possible, so the correct sort order would be:
  • past-due
  • due today
  • no due date
  • due tomorrow / day after / ...
Actions with start date in the future are hidden, of course.
The preference setting for "due soon" could be used to determine whether actions due within x days should be listed before no due date or not.

Anyone with me on that one?

I don't think I agree. In my mind, "due as soon as possible" means that it is lower priority than anything with a fixed due date. So it should sort at the bottom of the list.

hmm, seriously?

Maybe it's just me, but it feels wrong to assign a higher priority to a task with a start and a due date in 3 months than to a task without any due date at all...

Did I misunderstand David Allen as he was stating that due dates are only for tasks which have to be done at or until a date, not a task which is important, but can be moved along due to other catastrophies?

You can hide your tasks with future start dates by choosing "available" from the state filter. Like you say due dates are for items that HAVE to be done at a specific time, so that seems to me to put them over things that can be done anytime but soon. That is, its most important not to miss a dated item.

To say that all tasks in gtd are due soon makes of inessary to designate them as such as you are saying that I'd your operating assumption. For non gtders you keep a presentation that still makes sense (you even get to define what "due soon" means )

P

Yes, Hessi, I'm also studying Daniels book and agree with you. I want to be able to (others my have a different personal style, I don't see any point in debating it...) sort items with no-due dates to the top. This allows for rapid iPhone entry of todo' without having to fuss with extra settings and then these no-due-date;no-start-date items are "in your face" ... until review time, at which point we can do any number of things if they really don't need to be done now (set a date, move to a new folder etc...) But I too, want them on or near the top... I guess this is a feature request: offer the user a sort order option in preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessi View Post
Right, grouping by due date shows me the group "no due date".

But the sort order is wrong (if I sort by due date).
OF shows ALL actions with due date before any action without due date, even the actions with a start date in a month and a due date in 3 month.

I don't want to repeat myself five times (well, I do, actually... ;-) ), but according to GTD, everything without a due date is due as soon as possible, so the correct sort order would be:
  • past-due
  • due today
  • no due date
  • due tomorrow / day after / ...
Actions with start date in the future are hidden, of course.
The preference setting for "due soon" could be used to determine whether actions due within x days should be listed before no due date or not.

Anyone with me on that one?