The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Waiting For Functionality Planned? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does or will OmniFocus have the notion of a "waiting for" task, that is a task that cannot be completed until someone or something else outside the realm of the project completes a subsequent task. If not, what is the philosophical idea behind eliminating that. It puts a crimp in my sequential projects when I'm unable to designate a certain task as a "waiting for"...

You can do this now by assigning the task in question to a Waiting For context.

You also can add an action that specficially calls out the waiting for. E.g. I often have "WF feedback on <item>" in my Waiting For context, which subsequently blocks any other items.

I'll often assign a due date to these items so they show up at some point in the future as a reminder that I need to followup.

Like jasong, I use an Awaiting context. My pattern is to write an action name like "From Bob, TPS reports" and put it in the Awaiting context. I will set a due date sometimes, for time critical projects. On others I'll just notice reminders needed on my weekly review.

Another tip, I often set start dates on Waiting For items. This move the projects out of sight, out of mind and gives the person on whom I'm waiting a chance to respond without me nagging them. (Even if only psychically. ;-)

Curt

Great tip, Curt. Thank you.