The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone OmniOutliner Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yes please. I have an OO Pro license; would happily pay another $20 for OO for iPhone. I'd be happy with something dead simple and fast to use, with OPML support and limited features.

After that I would start wanting Omnigraffle too, but that's another thread.

In the meantime I'm off to buy Omnifocus for iPhone, even though I've never got my head around the OS X version (I'm a GTDer but prefer fewer tools); maybe this will be my way in.

Some of you may be able to use this: http://carbonfin.com/

I am also waiting for someone to make an desktop syncing organizer for the iphone. We all know the market is there. If omni can't be bothered doing it I am sure someone else will.

Here's another option:

http://www.dejumble.com/

These guys seem like they may have both a mac and an iphone version which may solve this problem.

If anyone does find a good alternative to omni outliner for the iphone, please post it. Since Omni isn't working on this market, I can't see they would mind.

I'm not trying to stop you from finding other apps out there, just some observations on both carbonfin and dejumble, they're both heavily geared towards task management, not actual outlining. This is very much where kGTD came from and which has now become OmniFocus. If these apps look like what you want, perhaps you should take a closer look at OmniFocus iPhone.

OmniOutliner isn't a task manager, it can certainly be used for simple to-do lists and it's quite great for that, but it is used for much more as well. Now that we have OmniFocus, OmniOutliner is less about being a task manager. I can't comment on what the future of OmniOutliner is, but it likely won't gain features aimed at task management.

OmniOutliner on the iPhone would reflect this instead of being OmniFocus lite or something. It would be a general purpose outliner and hopefully capable of at least displaying any OO document created on the desktop. I've yet to see an iPhone app like this but would certainly be interested in checking it out if it exists.

I would LOVE to see OO for the iphone. In fact, it would probably be my most used app. The same way OO is my most used app on my desktop since InControl by Attain went belly up. I can't live without it I tell ya.

OF just doesn't do it for me. I need an outliner not a task manager.

JH

The Carbonfin outliner seems more like a straightforward outliner to me than a task manager. That said, it can't open OO files and there's no matching desktop program, so it doesn't really help me that much.

Now that the OmniFocus iPhone app is out, I hope work on the OO app is beginning. Depending on how long you guys think a full OO app will take to build on the iPhone, I wonder if you guys would consider making a simple free viewer on the iPhone first in the meantime. Similar to how you guys just enabled Quick View for the desktop OO.

For everyone else, until the OO iPhone app comes out, a good view-only solution I found is to buy the Files iphone app which lets you upload any type of file. Then export your OO file as HTML(Unordered List) and transfer and view it using Files. This results in a fairly readable copy that you can keep on your iPhone.

Add my vote too, I'd love to see OO on iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random1destiny View Post
The Carbonfin outliner seems more like a straightforward outliner to me than a task manager. That said, it can't open OO files and there's no matching desktop program, so it doesn't really help me that much.

Now that the OmniFocus iPhone app is out, I hope work on the OO app is beginning. Depending on how long you guys think a full OO app will take to build on the iPhone, I wonder if you guys would consider making a simple free viewer on the iPhone first in the meantime. Similar to how you guys just enabled Quick View for the desktop OO.

For everyone else, until the OO iPhone app comes out, a good view-only solution I found is to buy the Files iphone app which lets you upload any type of file. Then export your OO file as HTML(Unordered List) and transfer and view it using Files. This results in a fairly readable copy that you can keep on your iPhone.
Another view only solution is to save it as a pdf (from the print screen) and email it to yourself. Opens and looks just fine.

Even easier - if you don't need indents - is to select all, copy, and paste it into a Note in Apple Mail. The iPhone automatically syncs Notes.

Count me in. As a long-time OO user I am now an OmniFocus fan and enjoy the way it syncs with my iPhone. I would make more use of OO, particularly for planning my blog posts, if I could have an iPhone application with synchronisation.