The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How should attachments work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having trouble figuring out attachments. I have an OmniOutliner Pro (OOP) document that contains notes on one of my projects, and I would like to have a link to it in a task or project note.

I thought what I should do is open the note and then use the "Attach file..." command, or drag the OOP document onto the note. When I do that, I get a little OOP file icon in the note, but no name or contents. Clicking on the icon doesn't do me any good.

If I add an RTF file, a PNG graphic, or some such other item, it appears in the note, but when I double-click on it to open the file, I get the error message: "Unable to open attachment. The document containing the attachment needs to be saved before you can open the attachment." However, the document is saved.

My workaround is to use the "Copy Path as URL" command in Path Finder (which I use instead of Finder) and paste it in the notes field. I can then click on the link to open, as long as I don't move the file.

My preferred behavior would be for attachments to link to the original file and not to be displayed as text or graphic unless the user specifically requests it. I would rather look at, and modify, reference material in the application that created it, not in OmniFocus.

I've reported this issue via feedback, but I'd like to see what other alpha-testers have encountered with attachments. A search in the forum archives didn't turn up much recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
I'm having trouble figuring out attachments.

I've reported this issue via feedback, but I'd like to see what other alpha-testers have encountered with attachments. A search in the forum archives didn't turn up much recently.
This thread talks about the issue some: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4000

Here is what Ken Case had to say on 15 Jul 07: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...9&postcount=11

If you are getting the unable to open error, maybe you are embedding the file rather than linking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006
This thread talks about the issue some: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4000

Here is what Ken Case had to say on 15 Jul 07: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...9&postcount=11

If you are getting the unable to open error, maybe you are embedding the file rather than linking it.
Thanks! I should have reread that thread more carefully. Part of my problem was that I missed Ken's remark that the contextual menu needs to be used to open the link. And I was puzzled that the filename was not added, just the small icon.

In other words, I should have RTFForum.

I find the ability to link files and folders is extremely useful. I don't remember the name for it, but the link is such that it survives moving the file or folder from one folder to another folder on my hard drive, and that is handy as well.

I don't embed files or folders because I don't want duplicates, but I know some people want to be able to do that so they can carry backup material with the OF file to another computer without copying more than one file.

As for the icon, I sometimes get an icon and sometimes get a full page image. I get a full page with a .png or .pdf and an icon with a .jpg or .xls or .003. I don't know what the pattern is, but I am sure there is one.

You can link to the Address Book vCards as well (which remind me of a glitch I wanted to report). Doing so gives you the name of the person or company, but doesn't really distinguish the text as a link in the note. The glitch (IMHO) is that if you have a contact *marked as a company* with both company name and person's name, the link puts in the name of the person rather than the company.