The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to handle weekends or business hours? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

I've been using Omnifocus for some time now and before that I used "Life Balance" on my desktop and my Palm PDA.
Life Balance had the ability to detect the availability of tasks based on certain time constraints.
For example, one could have a task "phone the insurance company" available only during business hours (since it wouldn't make sense to try to phone them during the weekend).
I'm really missing this feature with Omnifocus.

How would you handle this in OF without creating weekend/weekday/anytime-sub-contexts for every context?

Thanks in advance!

I'd love to see this happen when OmniPlan and OmniFocus become more integrated.

One approach you could use would be putting a homebrew tag on the items that had to be done during normal business hours, or on the weekend, etc. Put a string in the note field like TAG:WEEKEND or TAG:WEEKDAY or TAG:BUSINESSHOURS. Now you can build a perspective that does a search for that string (search strings are saved when you create perspectives) or just type the string into the search field when you want to narrow it down the view. You could have iCal automatically open a perspective link (of the form omnifocus:///perspective/<perspective-name>) at the start of business hours or the weekend or whatever.

Stepping back a bit, I like to work with start dates to hide tasks from view until they are able to be worked, and use a "tickler" view each day to show me the tasks that are newly started that day. If you make an effort to knock off these tasks that start each day the day they start, the amount of fooling around you have to do with "how do I arrange to see this task only between 3-5pm on alternate Tuesdays" goes way down!

Adding tags looks like a good idea, thanks!
I'll try this and see how it works for me.