The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Using OmniFocus in a GTD workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Here's a great thread on reviewing (which includes some suggestions for automating the process).
I would argue that you can't automate the process, which is what I said earlier as well, but you can of course streamline it :)

After all, how could the application know what you think is in good order and what needs to be tweaked? And David Allen also states that the review process is a crucial part of the workflow.

And I do use perspectives for that among other things, so my review process is streamlined enough for it to be rather fast at the moment.

Oh, okay, you mean you can't automate away the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Oh, okay, you mean you can't automate away the process.
Automation in this case means having the application do the whole process without you doing anything, streamlining means making the process as easy and effortless as possible :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
Reference Material:

Software has its place. I like Yojimbo, myself, for keeping random notes. It can encrypt data and it's easy to get information into/out of it. Plus Applescript support. I'm sick of apps that don't support scripting. If they're a key part of my workflow, they've got to have it. YMMV.

But the software is secondary to HAVING the documentation. Spotlight makes it easy to keep your information in individual files (text, docs, spreadsheets, whatever is appropriate) and folders without the need for a snippet program.

Better to DO than to futz with software. Although the futzing is fun, it isn't DOING.
I agree--Merlin Mann is pretty big on doing instead of fiddling, and I've tried to adhere to that. I just want to get the right buckets set up so that I can get my system out of the way and make it a tool, not a task. I suppose I do have to get in there and use it to really figure out what works best, though.

Quote:
Waiting/Stalled:

A waiting is a reminder of someone else's action. But it is my action as well. They have the football, but I still want to make the touchdown. (If I don't care and I've just passed it off, I won't store a "waiting" action -- it's up to them if they want to hand it back to me)

On my review, I'll say, "Gee, Louise STILL hasn't gotten me that spreadsheet, I'd better call her up" and I'll do just that. Probably right then, too. (2-minute rule
Right; if it's a part of your project, then you still have a stake in the ground of that outcome that you want achieve.

Quote:
Sorry, I get preachy on this stuff, but I speak from experience. Take it or leave it. :)
Nah, thank you! I find it pretty disturbing that so many people take frank advice or instructions as insults to their intelligence or being told what to do. I know that this stuff can be detrimental to your productivity if you focus too much on the system and not your work; I just wanted clarification on a few things to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, not exactly. My perspective for reviewing simply groups projects by next review date. I review the projects in the "Today" group, and any projects that were supposed to be reviewed in the past, and I usually don't bother looking at the groups for the future unless I'm trying to procrastinate :-)
That's a pretty cool idea; I think I'll try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Emailing tasks works very well though, since OmniFocus works with mail and if you use MailTags, it works with that too. So the point is, the message gets automatically parsed and thrown into your Inbox or library.
How does OmniFocus work with MailTags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
But again, doing reviews is one of the most important things in GTD that will make you trust the system. Once you review them enough times so you really see that NOTHING falls through the cracks, you can trust the system.

And just keep that habit up, reviewing as often as you need to.
Yeah...I think that's my biggest fear right now. I just need to establish trust with the system. The idea of hiding different actions or projects with the view bar has made me a little uneasy about trusting it, but I guess that's what reviews are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMethod View Post
How does OmniFocus work with MailTags?
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7540

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMethod View Post
Yeah...I think that's my biggest fear right now. I just need to establish trust with the system. The idea of hiding different actions or projects with the view bar has made me a little uneasy about trusting it, but I guess that's what reviews are for.
I understand what you mean and reviews aren't the only thing that will help with that, just seeing the system working will make you trust it in time.

And in my opinion, GTD isn't just a trick or and application or even a way to work, it's a lifestyle. The biggest benefits do after all really come once you get 100 percent of your life into the system and start to trust it.

Building trust like that takes time, especially for someone like me who doesn't blindly trust someone or something. So even saying "this is what David Allen told me to do" is something I can barely even say :P But hey, this actually WORKS, so I'm learning to trust it.