The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can multiple people/phones sync to the same database? [Answer: Yes, with caveats.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
thanks for the response. in terms of opening a different database, that is interesting, i didn't know you could do that. it seems not to be sync-able because the sync location pref is stored locally. if it was stored in the .ofocus doc it could work, which makes sense in a way because of course you want to sync to the doc you're opening, so a link to itself (its own URL) would take care of that. but i can see why this is against normal practice.

so, if everyone has to just have their own database, until the holy grail of OmniFocus + OmniPlan arrives, how do you send/delegate/assign stuff? e.g. if you want to give an action or project to someone else, you would think you could just drag it into an email and clicking it would add it to the recipient's OF, which you can and OF does indeed launch when you click it. but nothing appears, because the link is to an item in someone else's database. is there another way to do this, or a better way overall to assign/delegate?

i see some stuff here and there with applescripts and export to taskpaper formats, etc., is this really necessary?

Last edited by eforman; 2010-03-04 at 08:01 PM..

I just want to add that I too was looking for more workgroup functionality, a situation where I can email/delegate a task to someone and as soon as they open the email that task would be automatically added to their OF inbox/todo. So to hear that OF and OP will intergrate into the future is good news, assuming it can do what I just mentioned.

Just curious as to how this is looking? I'd love to have my whole team using OF and syncing to the same db. ;^)

My employer is curious to know if their is any kind of application that would allow us to use Omnifocus from our two separate computers to help each other manage tasks. Is anything along these lines possible? I hope this question is clear... Any ideas are welcome!

Happy to help! Check this thread for more info. (I'm going to move your post there, actually, but wanted to respond in the original thread before I did so.)

Hi,

I'd love to have my assistant have access to the same OF account, from her own computer. That way we can share tasks/update status of various things.

Is this possible with one license? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Chris

Chris, this isn't something that OmniFocus was designed around, but it is possible on a small scale. You and your assistant will each need a license for the app, though.

I'll move your post to a thread with more info on what you're trying to do here. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Chris, this isn't something that OmniFocus was designed around, but it is possible on a small scale. You and your assistant will each need a license for the app, though.

I'll move your post to a thread with more info on what you're trying to do here. Hope this helps!
Thanks for moving this Brian. I understand it's not designed for this and I suppose unlike many of the other posts here that are looking for full team workflow mgmt, I'm really just wanting my PA to see my account. She wouldn't need OF to do her own stuff. I simply need to set up 'projects' for her and she works through the tasks I create. Would that still need a separate license?

I guess a similar issue would be: what if I had a Mac at home and one at the office. Would I need a separate license for both computers even though it's just one account for myself?? That would seem to be a deterrent to sign up and pay double?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

1 license = 1 person, many computers, or 1 computer, many people. A license equips either a person or a computer. Your single license will cover you for both home and work, so long as you are the only one using OmniFocus on those machines.

My wife and I have a business and we want to be able to assign tasks to each other and check on the progress. Will OmniFocus do this? If so, how do we set it up.

Thanks,
John