The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project Requirement Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the things I did not like so much about Kinkless was the focus on projects. I do think projects are an important and necessary part of GTD, but the real driver seems to be next actions. Not all next actions require projects. I am hoping that Focus will put the focus on next actions rather than projects.

There are some applications out there that require you to create a project before you can add a next action. This, I think, requres too much thinking for many next actions - adding an additional barrier to easy entry.

Part of our general design philosophy is that you should be able to sit down and immediately start using an application without being forced to learn about things you don't need.

So, yes, in the most simple case use you can just ignore the possibility of projects and contexts and treat OmniFocus as a simple to-do list of tasks (with an easy quick entry mechanism for capturing stuff without interrupting your flow).

As you grow into wanting projects or contexts you can start to use either or both of them. When you end up with lots of projects, you can start organizing them into folders, focusing separate windows on them, etc. But we won't force you into any of that complexity, it will just be there waiting for the day you decide it's useful.