The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can OF be overloaded ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone have any thoughts in regard to at what point OF might buckle under the load of tasks ?

Background to the question is I have used OF as designed for several years now ie a personal/professional task manager but I'm toying with the idea of using it as the task management app in a property management workflow. Industry practice is to pay through the nose for a commercial relational database solution (basically just contacts, invoice tracking, task management and correspondence) but I would rather create linkages between my existing mac software. Obviously using OF as a task manager is way better than anything I could create in filemaker or buy in an off the shelf PM package.

My iphone app tells me I have 90 projects and 363 actions in 18 zip files. OF reacts quickly on the mac and syncs in 30-90 secs via webdav so it works perfectly now but what if I start adding 100 clients as projects with a whole stack of tasks am I kidding myself to think it will remain functional ?

It will slow down a bit, but should still work. I've got about 665 projects, 5100 actions. Where I notice it most is checking off or otherwise changing actions in a perspective that contains all of those actions.

Make yourself a handful of representative projects, then duplicate them enough times to get up to your expected counts. See if you think it is responsive enough for your needs.

Great thanks for the speedy response. I'll do as you suggest plus add some Curt Clifton script magic (populate template placeholders) for added stress.

BTW that is some serious task management you have happening there ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It will slow down a bit, but should still work. I've got about 665 projects, 5100 actions.
Wow. Making my 519 projects and 2455 actions look wimpy by comparison. Adding a next action to look at your past posts for tips on managing Omnifocus with lots of actions and projects :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I... I've got about 665 projects, 5100 actions...
If I were you, whpalmer4, I'd abandon OmniFocus in favour of iCloneMyself! :)