The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync tasks with due-dates to iCal-calendar? [See "Replacing Calendar Sync" thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have just posted a toolbar script to pretty much do exactly what is generally asked for in this thread:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...39&postcount=1

Enjoy,

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. People who use a smart phone besides the iPhone, or a Palm, or some other device that can sync with the iCal to-do list are very grateful for this feature.
After suffering through Palm Lists and Entourage lists I don't know what they are waiting for. Having an extra list around to sync, check off and dilly dally with makes no sense. Especially if its all GTD. I have spent a little over a week Getting things done with OmniFocus and, well thats about all I have been able to do is manage my lists, and OF. If I should go to the trouble of inputting a date and time on something it should jump into my calendar. Not another list, or having to enter it again in another program. That is wasting my time and not GTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
As for scheduling tasks on the calendar, there have been a number of threads on that. For my take, see this posting. See the rest of the thread for opposing views. Just a question though: if you set a start date of August 1 and a due date of September 15 on a task, how should OmniFocus represent that task as a calendar event?
See Tim's comment in that thread. That is simple enough. Ical won't show a big old stripe through your calendar unless all day event is selected.

I was using omnioutliner to perform the same function as Omnifocus. Now I hope that all the bells and whistles in OF aren't distractions in the end. If omnioutliner synced with the Iphone I would probably still use that. Nothing better than a folded up piece of 8.5 x 11 paper with a mindmap on the front and ToDo lists on the back. Outliner to keep a running tab of lists.

I gotta get back to work.

(Due to the dual post, the conversation has been continued in this thread.)

I read all the posts... what happened to this topic?
1) I think it is good GTD behavior to only have one bucket for time sensitive stuff; the calendar.
- I think for organizing projects, there is nothing better than the OF interface.
- I agree with the poster who suggests that he only wants to enter the date once... a date is a universal value. I should not have to enter it 3 times. (into OF, into iCal, from ical back to GTD in some cases where an event is created based on mail.app but really belongs in OF)

2) To answer Ken Case's excellent question from page 2:
I would like to have "dated" OF tasks show up in ical on their due day, as all day events. To distinguish between due and start, please add "Due:" and "Start:" before the task name.
- the contexts should map to ical calendars (Good GTD).
- I would like to see this as a check box on the "sync:" menu called "Sync todos with dates as ical-calanders." And then have the option to chose either a specific calendar, or use the OF context/ical calendars.
- I would like to have the option to NOT sync OF todos to ical todos. For all the reason outlined above.

See this thread for more current info on what's going on with calendar syncing.