The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature request - simultaneous use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I suspect that I'm not the first person fond of OmniFocus who has asked this and I have no idea how difficult it is, but I am working in an environment in which two people (who will have separate licenses) will be using OF to log and follow up on tasks in shared projects. I understand that OF can update through a shared db on .mac or the like, but that it's dangerous to have two or more users modifying the db at the same time, since OF will save only the latest changes.

I'd like you to see if there's a way that all changes in all open iterations of the project could be written and available to all users, if necessary - e.g., with two changes to the same item within a short time, with both changes showing up and there to be dealt with by the next user.

Possible?

Stephen Chakwin

As long as you don't both edit the same items, there's not a problem. However, for performance reasons on the iPhone, the algorithm works on a per-row basis, and the last dated change is the one that is kept.

I agree that it seems like you changing the due date while I change the note could in theory be accommodated. But suppose you and I both edit the same action, and make a conflicting change to the same field, what then?

If you want to make an official feature request, the forum isn't the best place to do it. Use Help->Send Feedback, or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

Please submit this request for this feature. I've been asking for multiuser access and delegation and sharing as well. I'd rather have this than an omnigroup hosted database. ;^)

We do this today. Own three copies so we are legal and share a mobileMe account. I know it is far from supported but it works very well having three people maintain a VERY active project list.We have yet to have a corruption issue.

We were doing it as well by maintaining the Task db on a Bonjour Host and after getting into the trenches with the app we started stomping on each others feet. Tasks were being overwritten since we'd be in a meeting, and disconnected from WiFi, while someone was modifying the same Task, and when the person got back on WiFi, their latest change was synced to the server.

It became a bit of a nightmare since we didn't know until later that the edits were incorrect.

If we could just offload the same stuff they do on RTM, Nozbe, Toodledo to the Desktop Host, life would be perfect in GTD land. :)

We had to choose the Bonjour route because of security. We can't allow our data to live outside our facility, and there are too many security loop holes to currently jump thru to use WebDAV. :(