The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What use, exactly, does OmniGraffle's PSD export serve? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Photoshop is very good at graphics. OmniGraffle is not. Photoshop's layer styles, masking, and plethora of other features make it easy to create stunning web graphics, and hence, stunning web designs. OmniGraffle has some basic style features to make your wireframes or charts or whatever look pretty, but these tools are shallow, and not meant for creating full on designs.

OmniGraffle is very good at wireframes. Photoshop is not. In OmniGraffle, if you want five rounded rectangles 50 pixels deep and 37 pixels wide, with their top edges aligned and ten pixels of whitespace between each one, then you got it with only 30 seconds effort. In Photoshop, you'll spend the same amount of time just making the first rectangle.

Between these two applications, I shouldn't have any problems translating my wireframes to designs. After all, Photoshop's failing when it comes to simple tasks like making a rectangle exactly X pixels wide are more than made up for in OmniGraffle. All I need is some way to export from OmniGraffle to Photoshop. And lo and behold, there is, indeed, a PSD export feature.

Wait, what's this? I've opened up my exported PSD, and everything's been rasterized into a single layer! What good is that? If I'd wanted to do that, I'd have exported as a PNG. With this, there's no way for me to apply one layer style to one object and another to a different object.

Okay, maybe there's some setting in the exporter that I missed. Let me double check. Let's see here...export area...non-printing layers...include margin...bitmap resolution...transparent background. That's it. Huh.

So now I'm gonna have to go through the usual pain and misery of laying out everything in a program that was not designed to lay things out. Don't even mention Fireworks or Illustrator, they both have the same shortcomings. Pity. This could've saved me hours of work.

OmniGroup, please fix this! As far as I can tell, this is the one thing that your applications lacks.

It'd be nice if I could choose to export all my OG layers to corresponding PS layers. Maybe translate OG canvases as PS layer groups, or into to separate PSDs. Or export each OG layer as a PS layer group, and each OG object as a PS layer, placed in its corresponding PS layer group. Bonus points if style information about an OG object can be translated to a PS layer style (or not translated, if the user chooses).

I completely agree, and like you am surprised that layered export to photoshop isn't already the available option.

If you want to make a feature request, use Help->Send Feedback or email omnigraffle@omnigroup.com. Forum posts aren't guaranteed to be seen by Omni, much less entered into the development database.

To Omni Group: I would love to see a proper export to Photoshop option with layers etc... Complex wireframes can take sometimes hours to layout again in Photoshop.

To Adobe: I wish Photoshop behaved more like Omnigraffle.

yes, please do this.... omnigraffle!

A lot of people I work with do not use Macs / omnigraffle.

By allowing export to PSD, I can share my omnigraffle files with them so they can convert to HTML for me!

Please add this feature!

Thanks.