The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

sorting table data by alphabetical order Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to sort data in tables in OG by alphabetical order? I'm making a registration list for a conference and am entering people in the order that they register, but would like to have the list sorted alphabetically on the day of the conference.

Thanks,

Kaj Schwermer
Osaka, Japan

you could always use Excel :o

I would if I had Excel, but I don't own anything made by Microsoft. I guess I could just import from Appleworks, but I'd rather just do it right in OG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj37@mac.com
I would if I had Excel, but I don't own anything made by Microsoft. I guess I could just import from Appleworks, but I'd rather just do it right in OG.
I'm with you on no longer using anything Microsoft--though I still have a legacy Office under classic for certain emergencies which are getting rarer ... I think I've opened it once in 3 years!
But my reaction to your first post was the same ... why do it in OG? OmniOutliner would be much better.
If you want a non-Microsoft virtual Excel-clone, try Mariner Calc ... There are only a few minor differences, which, unless you are an ultimate power-user, will not be a problem. It's the only OSX spreadsheet--carbon, not cocoa--I know that handles CKJ scripts ... unless later versions than the Excel I did try all those years ago now do. Very reasonably priced.
If you want a cocoa spreadsheet ... try Mesa 3. I would love to use it but it won't do Chinese, which I need. Even cheaper ... something like USD35.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the great advice. I'll check out the programs you mentioned. In the meantime, I've made up the form using Pages. OmniOutliner... got it but have never actually used it. Will take a look at it. Thanks again.

Kaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj37@mac.com
Mark,

Thanks for the great advice. I'll check out the programs you mentioned. In the meantime, I've made up the form using Pages. OmniOutliner... got it but have never actually used it. Will take a look at it. Thanks again.

Kaj
Not even tried OmniOutliner ... Wow! One of the apps I can't live without ... and a great thing is, you can read an OOutline in OG, if you want to produce a graphical version! It's also a LinkBack client for OG ... :cool:

Go for it.

Mark

Mark,

Time for me to do some serious learnin' it looks like!

I spend a good 3-4 hours a day using OG, probably more time than I spend with my wife! I'm a children's language instructor here in Japan, teach all day and spend nights using OG to create almost all my materials, everything from worksheets to puzzles, games, flashcards, even textbooks, you name it. So, a heavy, but shallow user, as I haven't even begun to explore all its capabilities.

Any ideas on ways to incorporate OO into the mix? I'll have a closer look at it in the coming days/weeks. Excited! Thanks again.

Kaj