The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Script for a quick listing of OmniFocus statistics Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Those sound like very helpful additions.

Perhaps a separate 'badges' section ? (In the current layout each leftward-aligned aggregate stat is the sum of the sub-list right-indented below it – things no longer add up if we append new items to existing lists).

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Those sound like very helpful additions.

Perhaps a separate 'badges' section ? (In the current layout each leftward-aligned aggregate stat is the sum of the sub-list right-indented below it – things no longer add up if we append new items to existing lists).

Rob
Funny, I'd never picked up on the grouping additions. Makes sense.

I moved to the bottom under SUMMARY in this revision.

I've also made another change - to detect if the screen resolution is too small to show the whole list, and trim some sections (I haven't tested this other than on an 11" Air, though). I broke up the SQL to make choosing the sections easier.
Attached Files
File Type: applescript Stats.applescript (12.0 KB, 528 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettporter View Post
I've also made another change - to detect if the screen resolution is too small to show the whole list, and trim some sections
Sounds good.

An exercise for you - how about a Choose List version, which starts with just oft-used and aggregate stats, and then offers more detail if you want it ? (Should solve the screen-size issue).

For extra credit, perhaps a simple data browser, to show the list of objects involved :-)

(Planned this as a kind of front end to the Where in OF script, but it never made it to the top of the list …)

Rob.

That sounds like an interesting idea, but probably beyond what I'd use it for... so procrastinating in that way would kind of defeat the purpose :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettporter View Post
That sounds like an interesting idea, but probably beyond what I'd use it for... so procrastinating in that way would kind of defeat the purpose :)
Very wise, we can safely send that particular yak to the back of the queue, I think :-)

Rob, et al, I'd just like to thank you for your effort with this script and pass on that I've put it to good use with Panic's new Status Board iPad application. Instead of outputting the contents to the clipboard, I've parsed the output to a CSV file stored on Dropbox and referenced this CSV file link in Status Board. Have set up the script to run daily so the stats are kept up to date and Status Board refreshes them automatically. Works well. I could never have done anything like this without leveraging your hard work though, so thanks again.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by countdrachma View Post
Have set up the script to run daily so the stats are kept up to date and Status Board refreshes them automatically.
Good ! Sounds like a nice project.

Do post a screenshot if you get the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Good ! Sounds like a nice project.

Do post a screenshot if you get the time.
Sure. I'm still playing around with Status Board to see what info I will find beneficial but I think it has great potential.

The OmniFocus table references your script (slightly modified) saved as a CVS file on my Dropbox account. The table merely references the URL of that CSV file. I have the script update a few times a day and Status Board updates the output really quickly.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Status Board with OF stats.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	2795  

Since watching the David Allen webinar on OmniFocus earlier this year I have started to put a lot of things like future actions or just plain information into OmniFocus as actions without context. I find that this is very helpful as I can have everything related to the project in the same place and just add a context when I need to make any of these notes actionable.

I now realised that this affects my action count in the stats scripts. What modification do I need to make to have the script count only actions that have a context as actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrubenson View Post
What modification do I need to make to have the script count only actions that have a context as actions?
The task table has a context field, the value of which is either NULL or the id of a particular context.

To count only tasks which have an assigned context, you need to add the condition and (context is not null) to any Select ... from task lines in the SQL.

For example:
Code:
select "ALL ACTIONS", count(*) from task where (projectinfo is null) and (childrenCount=0);
could be edited to:

Code:
select "ACTIONS WITH CONTEXTS", count(*) from task where (projectinfo is null) and (childrenCount=0) and (context is not null);